 Marketplace / Auctions / 9559
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:21:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Ron Sedlmeyer writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Costello writes:
It’s really not a big deal, but I was bidding on an item on Ebay and I was
out bid, literally 3 seconds before the item closed. Is that even possible?
Was it just extraordinary luck that the winning bidder clicked submit just
under the wire or was there something else afoot? I am just curious, I have
been sniped before, but never with 3 seconds remaining in an auction. Anyone
else have anything like this happen before? I am a pretty unlucky guy so it
could just be me.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it before also. Once with just 1
second left. Now, no flames, I'm just playing the E-Bay game like a lot of
others. I may not like it, but to win, sometimes you have to play just as
dirty as others. Although, sniping isn't really playing dirty, it's just
playing :). If you don't like the play, don't play.

  I concur--the fact that "sniping" can work at all suggests that the
"sniped" bidder was withholding a higher bid in hope of scoring a deal;
after all, one's bid is nominally the amount that one is willing to pay for
the item, and if one it outbid, then one is outbid. That's the name of the game!
  I've sniped on one or two occasions, and I've been sniped on dozens of
others.  In one auction I was sniped within 10 seconds of the auction's
close, but I'd been watching for it on two open browsers, so I re-sniped and
won with about two or three seconds to go.
  So the quick answer to Scott is, while you may be unlucky, in this case
you merely got stung by the same bee that gets everyone on ebay sooner or
later. Out of curiosity, was the sniper's bid higher than you'd have been
willing to go, or was it merely higher than you'd bid already?

     Dave!