 Marketplace / Theory / 2472
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:35:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
pete white wrote:
What bidders could be worse, maybe the plodders, who rarely win anything and
just plod away putting in low bids on hundreds of auctions and just pushing
prices up overall.

Tough!

Frank, your such a sourpuss ;^) An alternative point-of-view placed tongue-
in-cheek and you snap a response :^o    I know you are a plodder.

Actually what really pushes up prices is when several people are going
for the same stuff with a low patience factor. I'm sure prices of pirate
ships fell once I was done buying. The guy who pops in an early low ball
bid will have almost no effect on the final price (heck, I've even
tossed in low ball bids to put the item on my "things I'm bidding on
list" just because I'm curious what the item will go for, and heck, if
someone lets me win a Skulls Eye Schooner for $5 or somesuch [because
I'm the 5th person to put in such a "watch" bid], well, I'm sure I'll
get 5 bucks worth out of it...).

Not everyone has thousands to spray around buying everything in sight.

I'm sure a snipers wet dream is for everyone to play the sniper game,
and no one bids ahead of time, and then you're the lucky one who is the
only one to get your snipe bid in, and win the SES for $0.99...
Fortunately enough people don't play the sniper game (or at least don't
cut it so fine their bid might not even make it in) that most things go
for fair prices. Which is good for all of us, because the reason there
is so much LEGO on eBay is that it goes for prices which make it
worthwhile for people to scour yardsales and fleamarkets, and then
actually take some time to either extract sets, or organize parts into
sensible lots.

Who is playing games, you might as well enjoy the ride if you are on it.
What exactly is a fair price ? Is BL fair ?

Of course what sniping can be bad for is the seller (except the snipers
who put in a ridiculously high bid, at the same time a similar sniper
does so, but then they're bad for the seller also). If the auction was
more like a live auction (where every bid resets the
going-once-going-twice-gone counter), the person outbid by the sniper
has a chance to respond, and therefore the seller will get a higher
price.

I sell more on ebay, than I buy, so I could argue from a seller's POV.
The plodders keep the market healthy, thanks Frank !

The idea of an auction is supposedly to get the "best" selling price.

...or maybe just to sell excess parts or bits you cannot use yourself,
or help someone complete a set, or sell something that cannot be bought
elsewhere. The auctions that go high, make up for the ones that go low.
I have run auctions with possibly fair 'Buy It Now' prices and never received
a bid, run again starting low, the high bid has surpassed the original BIN !

pete.w (who has parcels to wrap and more customers to impress)