 Marketplace / Auctions / 9560
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:54:02 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
  I concur--the fact that "sniping" can work at all suggests that the
"sniped" bidder was withholding a higher bid in hope of scoring a deal;
after all, one's bid is nominally the amount that one is willing to pay for
the item, and if one it outbid, then one is outbid. That's the name of the game!
  I've sniped on one or two occasions, and I've been sniped on dozens of
others.  In one auction I was sniped within 10 seconds of the auction's
close, but I'd been watching for it on two open browsers, so I re-sniped and
won with about two or three seconds to go.
  So the quick answer to Scott is, while you may be unlucky, in this case
you merely got stung by the same bee that gets everyone on ebay sooner or
later. Out of curiosity, was the sniper's bid higher than you'd have been
willing to go, or was it merely higher than you'd bid already?

All you can determine is that the sniper's bid is $1 higher than your
current max bid.

Personally, I just bid what I want to bid for the item. I may
re-evaluate later, but most times I bid up front. Of course this does
give the sniper the chance to re-snipe if their original snipe wasn't
high enough, and early bids can in other ways inflate the bids. What I
don't like are the folks who complain that by placing an early bid
you're inflating the price.

I also usually bid slightly higher than what I really feel the item is
worth, which means that if a sniper wins, they really did pay more than
I was willing, and if they bid just under my max, well, were it a live
auction, I'd probably have gone one buck higher anyway. I also don't bid
even dollar amounts (except in those situations where I'm placing a
place holder bid while I decide if I really want the item or not) so
that I don't get caught by the sniper bidding $XX.01 and beating my bid
by a penny.

The best strategy however is patience. If you are willing to bid
something near the market price for the item, you will eventually win.
If you lose to a sniper ten times in a row, you're not willing to pay
the market price. Of course really patient folks can score some real
deals, especially if they are willing to try and play the sniping game.
Come in near the end of the auction with a low-ball bid. If the item has
been missed by those who really want it, your low-ball bid might be high
enough to win. I think I've done that once or twice.

Frank