 Marketplace / Auctions / 9562
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:01:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:
  I concur--the fact that "sniping" can work at all suggests that the
"sniped" bidder was withholding a higher bid in hope of scoring a deal;
after all, one's bid is nominally the amount that one is willing to pay for
the item, and if one it outbid, then one is outbid. That's the name of the game!
  I've sniped on one or two occasions, and I've been sniped on dozens of
others.  In one auction I was sniped within 10 seconds of the auction's
close, but I'd been watching for it on two open browsers, so I re-sniped and
won with about two or three seconds to go.
  So the quick answer to Scott is, while you may be unlucky, in this case
you merely got stung by the same bee that gets everyone on ebay sooner or
later. Out of curiosity, was the sniper's bid higher than you'd have been
willing to go, or was it merely higher than you'd bid already?

All you can determine is that the sniper's bid is $1 higher than your
current max bid.

Oh, duh!  I forgot about that--I've been off of ebay for a while...

    Dave!