 Marketplace / Theory / 2479
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:28:35 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
For Ebay's sake (and for the seller's-- and those who want to change their
minds) I'd LOVE to see Ebay instigate a system wherein auctions don't have a
set-in-stone end time. IE, if a bid is received, the auction extends
time-wise another X mintues. Furthermore, successive bids must be for, say,
1-5% of the item's currently bid price, so you can't extend the auction by
outbidding someone by a penny. Also, might be nice if the longer past the
original end time it gets, the higher the 'necessary bid' percentage gets.
So if you outbid someone 5 minutes past the auction end time, you only need
to outbid by 1%, but if you're 6 hours past the auction end time, you need
to outbid by 50% or something (such that it would shortly get ridiculous
enough that people wouldn't bother unless they REALLY REALLY wanted it--
which I'm sure Ebay and the sellers wouldn't mind...

Interesting idea. Escalating the bid increment would definitely help
bring the auction to a close. Also, you're probably right that a few
minutes is really all the auction has to be extended. Making the
escalating bid increment be based on the total time from the scheduled
end of the auction would allow "worthwhile" fast paced bidding by
smallish amounts but eventually you have to get serious. In real live
auctions where an item is hotly contested, you will often see a sort of
slow start, then the few serious bidders quickly jump the price up
enough to drown out the non-serious bidders, then the bidding settles
down for a while, then there can be a final frenzy which finally settles
down to a closing bid. An end game which lasts a modest amount of time
(a few minutes or so) is good for the overall process (all you bargain
hunters remember - auctions need to reach a fair price or they aren't
worthwhile - you shouldn't be getting yardsale type prices at auctions).

Hmm, I just remembered a non-online auction format which has the
equivalent of sniping. That format is the "silent auction" where the
items are displayed for some set period of time, with a bidsheet beside
each item. At the last moment, you stand beside the item with your
pencil ready. I liked the slight variant on this that many science
fiction conventions used in their art auctions. Each bid sheet had 3-10
rows (depending on size of the artshow). Any bid sheet which was filled
caused the item to be entered into the live auction. They closed down
the silent auction by having proctors move through the room (in a large
room with vertical panels with art hanging, it would be impossible to
see that no one cheated by bidding after the time limit). This format
even had a variant which eliminated some sniping. At one auction, a
friend and I were both bidding on the same item, and standing next to
it. When the proctor reached us, he was happy to sit for a few moments
while we debated our last bids (the item only needed one or two more
bids to go to the live auction). I finally decided to end the stalemate
by bidding on another item which had no bids (certainly not earning the
auction as much as if we had gone into the live auction [where I have
seen very small items jump from a few bucks to over $50], but still
getting more money). The items by the way were one of a kind painted
name tags by Kevin Siembieda of Palladium Books, though I think this was
before he started the company. Of course this leads into a real funny
story. One of my friends in college decided to enter some crayon
scribbles into the art show at Boskone (one of the biggest SF cons at
the time). One of his scribbles won an award. He overheard a couple fans
in deep discussion about the piece. Later, at other conventions, he
actually raised tens (or maybe hundreds) of dollars for the cons with
his art (though in that case, the buyers were buying for the fun of it,
but I somehow have this feeling that one of the pieces went for $50 or
more once).

Frank