 Marketplace / Theory / 2242
  Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

I've seen a few -- but very few -- LEGO builders offering their own original creations on eBay and elsewhere, and I wonder whether there is a decent market for such things? What do you think? By decent market, I mean, the ability to actually make a (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) original (...) Well, the Guild of Bricksmiths (URL) demonstrates that there is a niche market for these things, but until I hear of GoB members giving up their day jobs, I'd assume that there isn't a "decent market". MOCs have to sell for a (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

Ohhh...I get to talk about myself :-) More on that later! BTW, I speak ONLY for myself, not the entire Guild of Bricksmiths. (...) original (...) the (...) price.) That depends. If decent means you can quit your day job doing custom sets then the (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  selling MOCs

well, Sun Yun apparently does well selling his mecha from (URL) Eric Harshbarger HAS quit his day job and does lego full time (he says it pays the bills) and I, too, am going to venture into the lego-as-job arena... -paul (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

Paul Klenk wrote in message ... (...) original (...) the (...) price.) (...) of (...) high (...) Like Will, I'm speaking for myself, not the Guild of Bricksmiths as a whole. I sold several of my Town building kits on eBay just before Xmas - some (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) I'll speak on this as one of those who isn't affiliated with the Guild of Bricksmiths. I've sold custom kits both through the retail channel and via ebay. The retail channel worked better for my purposes as I could set the price rather than (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

In lugnet.market.theory, Paul Klenk writes: <snip> Posters have made a number of good points but I would like to point out that this topic has come up before and those interested may want to do some searching in market.theory where it tends to get (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

Dave, This sounds like a very interesting venture... and you sound like you really got enjoyment out of it! One small question: Did you set a reserve in your ebay auction? I ask as I have noticed that the Bricksmith’s Guild tend to either set high (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

Scott A wrote in message ... (...) or That would be Guild of Bricksmiths(TM) Kevin ps: For those who wonder why we harp on getting the name right, like any other trademark, if you don't maintain it (including making sure it's used correctly) you (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) I think my version sounds better ;) Sorry for diluting your GoB brand… Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Shame on you Kevin. In this very thread: (URL) in the same post too! And no “(TM)” next to ebay(TM) either! Surly a case of: "do as I say, not as I do"! ;) Scott A FUT : lugnet.off-topic.fun – but change it if you wish (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Scott, when I set up those auctions some 18 months ago, I had the odd notion that I might make more via ebay than via retail. I purposely didn't set a high resrve becasue I wanted to see where the market for such items were at. Fortunately, I (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

Hey, GoB still sounds better than Guild of BS. :P -Dave (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) And if you went to the official LEGO site and read up on their trademarks, and/or had a run-in with their legal department, you would know that the word LEGO should be capitalized so they can maintain their trademark and/or make sure it's used (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

Scott A wrote in message ... (...) used (...) Yes, well, I just got reminded between the 2 posts :-) (...) Absolutely. It's what my old Dad used to tell me all the time, so I do what he said :-) Kevin ---...--- Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Dave Johann wrote in message ... (...) LOL! We'd have to have more pitchforks to be that... Kevin ---...--- Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: (URL) Annual SYSTEM Creativity Contest: (URL) Lego parts store: (URL) Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): (URL) (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths So sue me. How many times has Lego been written (even by you) without the trademark symbol? BK> (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Brian, I am appalled that your wrote: Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths Bricksmiths in lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade. It is almost like you are advertising (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Sorry Larry, But I think I must agree with Brian. The(TM)thing was a "little" anal-retentive. Cheers, lol Doyle (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) By me? Not that many. You could look it up. (...) Not by choice. Trademark law is clear on the point, which you, as a CEO, should know. If we want to protect our trademark (and we do, we've all put a lot into the concept and it has value as a (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

Larry, Is this a registered Trademark? (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) No, for if it were we would use the (R) symbol rather than the (tm). Unregistered trademarks are protected by assertion. Registered trademarks are protected by registration AND assertion. Assertion is key in either case. (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Well duh. That's the first time I've said (tm) after LEGO in a long long time. YCLIU. It, of course, should be LEGO(r). Proving my point about inadvertant vs. deliberate. (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) This would be a good example: (URL) - No "(r)" Guild of Bricksmiths - No "(TM)" LUGNET - No "(TM)" Refering to the Guild of Bricksmiths(TM) as simply "the Guild" Surly another case of: "do as I say, not as I do"! ;) Scott A (...) FUT : (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) True, as you said below, larger companies sometime respond different than those who MUST protect their trademark to vulnerability. (...) "And our trademark is a lot more fragile than LEGO(tm), since we're a lot smaller." LP Well said. :-) I (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) True, as you said below, larger companies sometime respond different than those who MUST protect their trademark to vulnerability. (...) "And our trademark is a lot more fragile than LEGO(tm), since we're a lot smaller." LP Well said. :-) I (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Hardly... that list is confined to the temper tantrum-ers and to those twits that, hardly ever honoring something themselves, dig up instances of where someone slipped up and dance around gleefully, as if that somehow proved anything other (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Interesting that you would call it a 'temper tantrum' without even knowing me. My whole point was simply to point out that many of us out here on Lugnet(tm) ;-) are tired of Larry and his 'know it all attitude' and personal way of always (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

I personally am not so interested in completed MOC kits for sale, not because they aren't good, but because they tend to be too expensive for my budget. I understand the need to charge these prices, but they are out of my price range. What I *would* (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) All it "proves" is that people in glass houses should not throw stones. I would suggest that the post I referred to was more habitual than a slip. I would suggest that one could easy find a few hundred instances where you had “slipped up” in (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Was this a constructive post Scott? I remember you once asserting that your posts outside of l.o-t.d were always constructive. Chris (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  constructive posts

(...) I doubt I said "always"? I would also suggest you read the context to my comment, where KW was able to show a little humility in his response: (URL) we agree that hypocrites chastising people for writing “Lego” rather than “LEGO(r)” would (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: constructive posts

(...) Written in .debate: "when I post outside this group I try to be 100% constructive. I have to be..." You didn't use the word always, you used 100%. And, to be fair, you said you try. So are you asserting that this was constructive or that you (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: constructive posts

(...) I would assert that I made that clear in my last post to you? (...) I would agree that it would not be constructive if I were to bait Larry. Read the thread again and think about who is doing the baiting. (...) These "remember to dot your eyes (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) He was echoing the sentiment I expressed, I think. And when you look at your initial words (which I left, for reference while snipping all else away) on this topic, I think it was a fair sentiment. Stamping your foot and saying "so sue me" (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Larry, Where is Guild of Bricksmiths (tm) trademarked? I've searched the US Patent and Trademark Office, (URL) and nothing turns up for Guild of Bricksmiths, or even just Bricksmiths: (URL) (I'm not an IP lawyer) but I didn't think American (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Trademark law allows for protection for first use and continued assertation. Registration is not required for protection, though a registered trademark holds more weight in potental problem situations. Check out this info (from: (URL) are (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

In lugnet.market.theory, Matthew Gerber writes: <snip> Wow. That's awesome info. Thanks to Calum for the Tess link, that's handy to have searchable, and thanks to Matthew for the cites. You can always count on Matthew to come up with some good (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) Mayhaps a curator for lugnet.market might make a FAQ for these recurring topics and relevant links there? Sure would be nice... Matt (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...

(...) I agree (...) Does the market hierarchy HAVE a curator yet? How does one tell if it does or not, if the curator hasn't put their name at the bottom? (I checked and did not see it at the root or in .shopping, didn't check them all) .trains (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) With only a few exceptions, U.S. federal trademark laws and regulations do not control the non-commercial use of trademark (#1). To expect writers and speakers to punctuate the mention of, or merely the "first mention of", any trademark in the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Sounds painful! <snip the items I agree with...especially usage> (...) Hear-hear! (...) But then Letty doesn't think you should use your cell phone in public...I suppose I should only use it in private at home (where I'm next to my regular (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) I'll definitely agree with you about "Xerox" having lost its trademark identity, but I don't think I've ever heard of "Kinko's" being used in a generic sense. Maybe it's a regional difference (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area). (...) Did you (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Oh yeah...as a former manager of a Kinko's branch, I can attest to this one personally. (...) Yep. (...) Good point (though not really part of the original issue)...and something GoB might want to consider if it becomes important to them. Matt (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Not in the UK. A photocopy is still a photocopy here. Although all vacuum cleaners are "Hoovers" here... but that just sounds right. Is this the same all over? Scott A (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) This whole thread is completely psychotic. "Bricksmith" and "bricksmiths" are actual words being used in the vernacular -- I am not sure anyone can claim exclusive use of words that are used commonly by others. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet the (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Windows. (...) Apple Records went after them based on the word alone. (...) There's something wrong with a group of builders banding together to create guidelines for the creation and marketing of quality MOC kits? I think it was a clever (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

richard marchetti wrote in message ... (...) They are? I thought we made it up :-) Seriously, a Google search on "bricksmith" doesn't turn up anything that could be called "actual words being used in the vernacular".... you get lots of GoB-related (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Well, glad you asked! (Never mind that you didn't ask ME-- any excuse to haul out my OED!) I have looked (OED Compact edition two volume set with the magnifier in the slipcase that I got at the garage sale with the Bentley for 2 bucks), and it (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Nope. I have used the term before. As have others... (URL) Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Sorry Hoppy...some 10 instances found on the web (I went a bit further than Google) do not put the word into the vernacular. Citing the Windows example, now there is a word DEFINATELY in the vernacular before trademark was claimed upon (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) doesn't appear until nearly the bottom of the page and there's some really horrible stuff there you have to read through to find it. Maggie (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Neither of those examples reassures me it isn't just the usual corporate abuse of power and money. How different we feel when it's eBay v. Brickbay...then it's just words that should belong to everyone. I feel the same about GOB. It's just (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) I there is a difference between what passes for stare decisis and what is ACTUALLY right... -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Sorry, I meant to say: I THINK there is a difference between what passes for stare decisis and what is ACTUALLY right... -- R (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Well from what I know of GoB (as an outsider) the two are inextricably linked - people are invited to join the GoB based on what they've built. (...) No, it doesn't, however if one person (or group) has a lot to say about a particular subject (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

Maggie: Most browsers have a "find" capability that allows the user to locate a specific term on a page. Try pulling down some of the menus in IE/Netscape/Opera and I am sure you shall find it. You thought I actually read what was on those pages?! (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) Or is it an issue of community...where we, as communtiy members, should support each other when taking chances or making a difference or providing a service? I don't buy from Brickbay (just once), yet I'm willing to support Dan as much as (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) If GoB can show they were the fisrt users (I'm not saying they do or are), does the word not belong to them? (...) I'm not sure I agree. The GOB kits (and most other MOCs) are designed in a way that economics dictate Lego can not really (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)

(...) I have no vested interest in GoB one way or the other, but here are a few references to consider: (URL) 30, number 5733) (URL) cottage, known in the twentieth century as "Bricksmith's Cottage" was, in the early nineteenth century, the (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)