 Marketplace / Theory / 1768
Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:56:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Todd Lehman writes:

If the default is to expect solicitations unless someone specifically states
that they're unwilling to pick something up for someone else, does that
encourage or discourage posting?  Or is it neutral?

If the default is set to be that people posting should expect solicitations, I
personally would have no trouble adding "I will not buy these for you."  I have
no problem saying that because there's a lot of work involved in this request!
Not only do you have to go out to the store and buy the sets, but then you have
to package them, mail them, and hope the person comes through with the cash.
Yes, you can wait for the cash, but there are a whole bunch of problems
inherent in that too- wait for the cash too long, sets are gone.  Have to send
cash back.  Buy the sets and wait for cash to ship, never get cash, stuck with
sets and/or have to return them to get your own cash back.  All of this is a
big favor to ask, and while there are certainly people I would do it for if
they asked, I have no problem telling Joe Lugnet User they don't qualify for
that service from me.

That said, I also know I have a thicker hide (and am generally viewed as a lot
less considerate than) the average Lugnet user.  In general, I think the
default being "I will get these for you" would discourage posting, because many
people wouldn't want to say they wouldn't be willing to buy sets, and wouldn't
want to deal with the fallout of it if they did.

What do you think someone who's a newbie thinks when they don't realize that
the default is to expect solicitations, and they get swamped with requests
they didn't want?

I think they would be upset at the number of people they don't know filling
their inbox with requests for a big favor.

If the default is -not- to expect solicitations unless someone specifically
states that they -are- willing to pick something up for someone else, does
that encourage or discourage posting?  Or is it neutral?

I think this is neutral, it neither encourages nor discourages posting.

What do you think someone who's a newbie thinks when they don't realize that
the default is not to expect solicitations, and they -don't- get swamped with
requests they might've been happy to take?  What's the maximum damage?

I don't think the average newbie would care.  If I offer something and no one
takes me up on it, I assume no one wanted it and I move on.  The maximum damage
is for the other person- the person who would have asked for the favor and
didn't because the newbie didn't make it clear they were willing to take
requests.

eric