 Marketplace / Theory / 1767
Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:45:50 GMT

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:
I don't know, I think that particular find should have been posted to .shopping
- they could take phone orders and ship, so ANYONE (OK, maybe just "anyone in
the US", if they wouldn't have shipped overseas) could have gotten the sets.

Some other considerations for posting in .shopping:

- Many folks post when they find out about K-Mart etc. sales. 95% of the
time, those sales are applicable for the whole US, and thus have broad
appeal. But many folks who post these notices don't seem to be aware of
(or at least don't have confidence) the fact that the sale is probably
US-wide. If they were encouraged to only post in a local group, we would
have to wait for someone who did recognize that the sale is widespread,
and now we have two posts announcing the same sale.

- It can be interesting to see trends of sales, and introduction of new
sets. The first person to post that they found 2001 sets in a local TRU
should announce in .shopping, not in his locality, even though it is
possible that many TRUs might not get the sets for a week or two. It
puts people on notice to start visiting their TRU.

- If a regional chain is having a sale, it might be worth travelling, or
it might be worth soliciting help from a friend (who might not be the
one who posted the sale). I have a standing offer to anyone who I do
regular buisiness with that if they see a sale that they can't take
advantage of they are welcome to ask me if I can get the item for them.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com