 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 874
    The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
   I was graciously given a book, "The Gate of the Present" by Nico H. of Holland. It's in French, but documents a design competition of some sort in which a number of artists or architects were given a lot of bricks and asked to make something that to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —James Brown
     (...) <snip> (...) I would be interested in it. My French is sketchy, but sufficient to do translations to English - assuming the subject matter doesn't get stunningly esoteric. There are others out there much more qualified, though. (Martin LeGault (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Martin Legault
     Hi, I could possibly translate it, but it would take time, but also see that an english version should be advailable. I also saw an exposition in Quebec city where those model build, took some picture of the best of them but I wasn't very impress by (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Jeremy Rear
     Larry- I was on the design team that provided the Gate design which starts on 122 through 125 (English version). LEGO® sent us a HUGE box of almost every element you could imagine, and design standards (parameters) with LEGO® engineering tools (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         RE: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Doug Finney
      (...) It's on the same pages in the French version. I couldn't find an English one and know just enough French to get the basic gist of the text while probably missing the most interesting details. I'd love to see whatever translation ends up (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Bram Lambrecht
      (...) Since this is so rare, would someone mind putting up some scans from the book? I'm sure many of us would be interested in seeing more entries (especially after seeing the ones in the Ultimate LEGO Book) --Bram Bram Lambrecht / o o \ (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
      Jeremy Rear wrote: <snip> Thanks for the fascinating background. (...) Well, I had no idea there WAS an english version! Cool! Better yet than translations, could you be persuaded to circular loan your copy instead of us sending around the French (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Frank Filz
      (...) Cool cool cool... I also have a copy of this book (in French - mine came from Nico also - thanks Nico for all the great extras included with my Shell sets). If the list of people who want to see this is large enough, I'd be happy to circulate (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Thomas Main
     Jeremy, I would love to get some of this LEGO graph paper. I have used ordinary graph paper for making a dome and boat hull - but I think my designs would be easier to build using the LEGO graph paper which I believe sections each brick cell into (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Christopher L. Weeks
     (...) Oooh. Please put me on the list. (After anyone doing translation, please.) Chris (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Charles Eric McCarthy
     (...) See the earlier messages in this thread for details. Larry and I have pretty much given up on getting an English version of this book (Gate of the Present) of Lego constructions designed by architects. If you are interested in seeing Larry's (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya, lugnet.general)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Christopher L. Weeks
      (...) book (...) I would still like to be on the list. And still, if there is going to be some translation done, I'm happy to wait for that to be done first. Chris (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) My sense is that is the preference of a number of people. OK, maybe we should rewind back up the tree and ping one or two of the folks that said they might be able to help with that(James Brown who sort of knows F, or Martin Legault who IS (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Nico Hoogerbrug
     Hi Eric, I could help you to your own copy of this book. I do have one still at home. Larrys book came from the same source you know. And you dont have to be able to read French after all. The pics speak for themselves. We could make an trade, Im (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya, lugnet.general)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
     I don't think we QUITE came to closure, although I see Eric is going to send it to Chris next. Jeremy, ARE you willing to loan yours out, or jot down some of the key info points and send them to Eric before he sends the french copy to Chris? (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Jeremy Rear
      Larry- I could make copies, however I'm a little hesitant due to copyrights restrictions. Maybe I could type out requested translations. What is your POV? LMK. -j (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
       I'm not keen on copies either for the same reason. My POV? I guess I'd want to know significant things about the models. Who are the firms, what were they trying to achieve. Not word for word, mind you, but enough to give a reader some sense of the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

           Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Robert Farver
        (...) I would love to get in on this, unfortunately I haven't received a J-box yet, (and frankly don't know if I will). Is there any other consideration that could be used to get in on this book? Rob +---...---+ | Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com | | (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

            Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
        The french one? my whim. You're good, though. The english one? Jeremy's call, not mine, assuming we can convince him. If we can convince him, I vote to kill circulation of mine and I'll queue up like the next guy for his. (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

           Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Christopher L. Weeks
       (...) What would it take to get the English one in circular loan? I'll transfer $40 from my x.com account into Jeremy's as a deposit. When I send the book on, the person I send it to could transfer $40 from theirs into mine. Etcetera. When the book (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

           Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
       I'd jump on that idea in a sec! Christopher Weeks wrote: (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

           Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
       How about it, Jeremy? Would that (sending you some money as a surety deposit for safe return) do the trick? Eric is done with the French one and wants to know if he should hold for a while pending resolution, send it on to Chris, or back to me... (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

           Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —James Brown
       (...) This is a cool idea, and I'd love to get in on it, but x.com just isn't an option for those of us not in the US. I'd be willing to do a surety deposit some other way, and failing that, I'd still be interested in the French version. James (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Charles Eric McCarthy
      Jeremy (or anyone else who has a copy of the English version of "The Gate of the Present") Could you please post what the ISBN and publisher are/were for the English version? Thanks, /Eric McCarthy/ (24 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Christopher L. Weeks
     (...) I've had this for ever (Sorry Larry) and just pledged to myself for about the third time to take care of it. It's not clear from this thread what I'm supposed to do with it when I'm done. Larry? Chris (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I am dipped if I know. Reviewing the thread, my take was that there was not a clear desire from too many folks to see this (or not a strong enough desire to be willing to pay the onward postage, anyway, which is fair enough). So I would ask (...) (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —James Brown
      (...) I would like to see it. I'll send my snail to Chris sometime when it's not 4 in the morning, and I don't have a bright-eyed, supposed to be asleep baby. James (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Manfred Moolhuysen
       [sniped everything] I'remember I've seen those gates, on a exposition touring through Europe, and they did the Netherlands also. Five of these gates are also pictured in the "Ultimate Lego Book", in my Dutch edition the're on page 116 and 117 . I (...) (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

          Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Christopher L. Weeks
      (...) Great. I'll look for your address either in my files or email, and send it out to you. Chris (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

         Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Paul Sinasohn
     I'm still interested in seeing it.... Paul Sinasohn (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Ben Roller
     (...) I must have missed this back when it was posted. I'd like to see one of these books (the English one if that gets sent around but the French version would be fine too). I've passed along a couple of the jambalaya boxes, so I should be ok (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? (Not EXACTLY a Jambalaya) —Paul Sinasohn
     I'd like to be on, and I've got a co-worker who is originally from France - if I get the book before May 1, she can translate it. If I get it after, i'll find one of my sister's friends, several of them speak French... Paul Sinasohn (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya)

        Re: The Gate of the Present Circular Loan? —Susan Hoover
   (...) I was searching WorldCat on OCLC today and came across "Gate of the Present" in German, and it's available through Inter-Library Loan (subject to restrictions of the ILL program) from two libraries, or at the V&A Museum if you happen to be, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.jambalaya, lugnet.books)