 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 437
436  |  438
Subject:
careful planning with newsgroup names (was: De Bouwsteen club)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:46:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:39:04 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:
[Snipped good reasons for doing ng's right the first time]

Yea, getting the names right the first time (or what finally feels right) is
pretty important, and often is a long on-and-off process of pondering.  The
theme ng-trees, for example, have been in the oven (or on the back burner)
since February.  First the new web structure had to be written and put into
place, and now that that's there, we can plan the rest.  But the good part
is that probably all of the options are out on the table now.  I don't
forsee any new major revelations coming about with regard to the theme
trees.  The main sticky bit at this point is figuring out how to logically
arrange the theme trees to coexist with clubs and loc groups -- a "grand
unified theory" of sorts for all of those.

I apologize for the name of the .jambalaya group being the gating factor in
its creation (it took a week and half to come up with a name, while more
than 150 messages piled up in .buy-sell-trade) because people were getting
rather antsy about the delay:

   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1869
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1892
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1960

It might've gone on longer than that.  The name Jambalaya came out of thin
air -- pretty much literally -- by chance.  I happened to fall alseep on the
sofa one night with the radio on, and on the 6:00am news, they said that
Boston was going to be getting a Jumbotron™ <http://www.jumbotron.com/> like
Times Square in NYC.  I mishead this for a split second and thought they
said "Jumbletron."  Fell back asleep, and awoke later thinking the words
"jumble" and "jambalaya."  Looked 'em up in the dictionary and it turned out
they fit the bill!

I hope that the name Jambalaya has grown on people over the past few weeks.
Nobody had any objections to it when it was first suggested, but not one
indicated any positive vibes either, so I don't really know what people
think.

I think it's a good solid name which captures the essence and spirit behind
the trade and remains adaptable for the future.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]