 General / 6474
6473  |  6475
Subject:
De Bouwsteen club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, "Eric Brok" <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl> writes:
I didn't want to be too verbose about it,

If it's a LEGO-related club, let's hear all about it!  (Don't be shy!  :-)

Since LUGNET is an acronym which stands for LEGO Users Group Network -- or
in other words, a network of LEGO user groups and/or clubs -- one of its
purposes in life is to unite LEGO user groups and clubs around the world,
as well as to nurture the formation of new ones and promote the exchange of
club ideals, experiences, success stories, planning, and much more.

but actually it was a meeting of
the independent Dutch Lego society 'De Bouwsteen' (The brick). There are
about for meetings each year, which mainly revolve around selling/trading
sets, like a (small) indoor market. Ofcourse it's also good to meet fellow
enthousiasts. Some seem to have connections with shop-owners or maybe people
who work for lego, hence the showing up of some 'inside' publications or
promotional stuff occasionally. (Not very hot stuff though, like Review.)

Do you meet at the same place each time, or rotate?  Any tips on selecting
public meeting places?

What is a typical get-together like?  Lots of happy laughing and building
and beverage-consuming?  Do you start in the evening on Friday and build
straight on through 'til Sunday until everyone collapses?  :-)

For Dutch readers: Contact adresses for De Bouwsteen are in the Dutch
section of my website.

That reminds me, you sent a note in June about creating special discussion
groups for clubs.  I agree that this would be a very helpful thing.

Last September, there was briefly a lugnet.clubs.* hierarchy with a single
group, lugnet.clubs.pnltc -- but I'd misunderstood something Steve Barile
wrote to me, so it was only very short-lived.

   http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=9
   http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=15

One thing we could do is resurrect that part of the newsgroup hierarchy and
do something like:

   lugnet.clubs.debouwsteen  (or lugnet.clubs.bouwsteen)

and, if other clubs/groups wanted in, then:

   lugnet.clubs.pnltc
   lugnet.clubs.gmltc
   lugnet.clubs.novaltc
   lugnet.clubs.baylug
   lugnet.clubs.nelug

But that might get crowded or confusing after a while without additional
divisions, so a better possibility might be to place groups more naturally
closer to their point of contact with the rest of the world, i.e.:

   lugnet.loc.nl.org.debouwsteen  (or lugnet.loc.nl.org.bouwsteen)

and, if other clubs/groups wanted in, then:

   lugnet.trains.org.pnltc
   lugnet.trains.org.gmltc
   lugnet.trains.org.novaltc
   lugnet.loc.us.ca.org.baylug
   lugnet.loc.us.org.nelug

The .org paradigm is already in place in two spots...

   lugnet.trains.org - National and local train clubs/organizations for
      LEGO® enthusiasts: group formation, founding, planning, announcements,
      etc.; inter-group coordination and planning; general ideas, thoughts,
      inspirations, insights, experiences, etc.

   lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw - Focused discussion group for the planning and
      development of the domain ldraw.org, its website, and related
      resources.

...and seems to be working well.

--Todd