 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 393
Re: Bad News for Brickbay!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:37:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Matthew Gerber writes:
Perhaps for a lax judge, but you have made a couple of false indications in
your example; Brickbay is not an auction site, sellers do not conduct
auctions there...it is a private commerce site for the buying and selling of
parts at a fixed price, as set by the seller...in fact, it is closer in
relation to eBay's Half.com service.

Ah, yes, I forgot that, right.  I think that proves to some degree the
association being made.  I've only browsed Brickbay occassionally and never
bought anything from a vendor on there (I prefer my addictions from local
retail :) yet I made the jump by the name that they auctioned bricks, not
just sold them.

And there are far worse, much more blatent offenders out there. A site that
someone posted here a few months ago comes to mind...they claimed it was
very "eBay-like", but was better because they didn't charge listing
fees...they even suggested that we move all LEGO auctions there...when I
checked it out, it was a direct rip-off of eBay, likely stolen source code
page-for-page...very, very sad.

The fact that there are far worse offenders doesn't mean BrickBay isn't ripe
for being targetted.  "Yes, sir, I may have stolen a car, but there are
criminals who have stolen much more expensive things!"

Alas, it's a shame this has happened, but...

Calum