 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 386
Re: Bad News for Brickbay!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:12:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Another ?0,02 worth:

I think Matthew has a good point in that the basics of the service are
essentially different: Brickbay is not an auctions site. Another point the
judge might look at is the fact that on eBay you can sell anything, and
Brickbay is strictly limited to Lego. Since the target audience is so small
it won't hurt eBay's business. On that grounds they can hardly do anything
against Brickbay, so it's purely the name.

Now, see, I think it has a lot to do with the service, maybe even more so
than the name.

I'm sure eBay does regular sweeps of the Web, WHOIS, domain registrars and
such, and looks for *Bay names...mostly assuming that these services ARE
ripping off their auction concept.

It's by chance that they find sites other than auctions...many they likely
have to/choose to leave alone . Their internal guidelines likey say "if it
is an auction or any other ecommerce site, send letter A, all others, send
letter B"...letter A is "cease and desist commerce on threat of legal
action", letter B is likely a "your name is very much like ours, and we
don't want confusion, we can't do anything to you, but would you consider
changing your name please".

Personally I never liked the name Brickbay, so I couldn't give toss if it's
changed to Brickshop, Bricknet or setupshoptosellyourabsbuildingbricks.com.
I would give a toss however if the namechange would be because some big
company thinks they can have their way simply because they're big. There's
enough of that rubbish going on and we all know where that can lead....

Well, isn't this at odds with what you say below?

I think a boycot of eBay is pointless and childish."You don't like me? Well,
than I don't like you anymore...". Does anyone really think eBay care about
a few Lego freaks not using their services?

I do think so...look at the major milestone Brickbay passed last week, and
the very large number of strictly LEGO auctions at any given time on
eBay...every transaction that doesn't take place on eBay is money out of
their pockets (in their minds)...you better believe that it is in their best
interests to cause damage to Brickbay, either the hassle of changing the
name so that it's well established reputation is tarnished, all the way up
to legal action that could spell the end of the service all together. It's
the way of business.

A boycott (or a simple petition) is something that concerned users and
communtiy members can make their feelings known to eBay...that both services
are valuable to this community, but we would choose one of our own over
theirs...I think it might be an important message to get across, but would
never choose to go ahead with such a thing without the involvement of much
of the community, and Kevin's OK. He may not even want this kind of
attention...I certainly hope others thinking "boycott eBay" are thinking the
same direction as I am in this matter.

Matt