 Marketplace / Auctions / 8982
Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:52:10 GMT

Ohhh...I get to talk about myself :-)  More on that later!  BTW, I speak
ONLY for myself, not the entire Guild of Bricksmiths.

I've seen a few -- but very few -- LEGO builders offering their own • original
creations on eBay and elsewhere, and I wonder whether there is a decent
market for such things?  What do you think?

By decent market, I mean, the ability to actually make a profit based on • the
price of acquiring the bricks (purchase/shipping) compared to the final
sales price of your creation.  (I imagine it wouldn't be worth it without
marking it up 100% or more.  If I did it, I would set a high reserve
price.)

That depends.  If decent means you can quit your day job doing custom sets
then the answer is no.  If it means you can make a little more than your
expenses while having fun with your hobby then the answer is yes.  In my
case it's yes.

Probably the items that would sell the best would contain a modest amount • of
pieces, a relatively low number of special (i.e., expensive) pieces and • high
number of cheap pieces, and ones that use a lot of colors and are
well-photographed.  Also ones that reflect the most popular themes (Town,
Vehicles, Robots, etc.).

This isn't necessarily the case.  I think the determining factor is the
overall quality of the set design.  Everything else appears to be secondary
to that.

(I did notice someone at the Brick Guild selling some very beautiful fire
trucks, but not at eBay.  I really admired them -- they looked as good or
better than any set I've seen LEGO market.)

Thanks for the compliment :-)  I have done one eBay auction with rather
disappointing results.  I've done far better with straight sales at a fixed
price.  Others have done quite well though.

Would you find value in swapping stories about successful (or • unsuccessful)
sales of MOCs?  For instance, if someone built and sold a house over eBay,
might it not be valuable to everyone to see the final auction details, see
how the item was photographed and presented, and see the final price?

Comparing notes is always helpful.  In the meantime you might try doing a
search within the eBay Lego category on such keywords as custom or MOC.
Just be sure to check the box that searches thru item listings AND
descriptions.

HTH,
Will

Bricksburg Fire Department: http://www.bricksburg.org