 Marketplace / Auctions / 4233
Re: Questionable eBay auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:08:46 GMT

John Koob wrote:

Does anyone know of a bank in the USA that would charge a $15 fee
to process an international money order in US funds?

I dunno about 15, but my credit union charges 20. I love my CU for
almost everything, except that. I take IMOs and canadian checks to a
local bank where I have a savings account. Depositing there doesn't cost
me money but it DOES cost me time, so my most recent factoring write up
slaps a fee on people for sending me anything other than POSTAL money
orders which I can cash at the PO (I go to the PO a lot more than I do
to the bank).

My advice to bidders is to check the auction terms and ask questions
**before** winning. If the terms don't specifically describe what you
are trying to do you may well get hit with fees which are, while
exorbitant, just cost recovery for the seller. Why should the seller eat
a 20 charge when he said in his listing he would not take payment that
way?

Your auction may not be that precise circumstance but presumably you see
where I am coming from.

I've won an RCX from someone on eBay, and, since I'm in Canada,
told the seller that I'd send the MO (which is drawn on an American
bank).  Now, I just got an email where he claims that his bank will
charge this processing fee, and he wants me to pay it or he won't
complete the transaction.

I have the MO ready to go, but, fortunately, I have not sent it yet.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do.  After many positive
Lugnet and eBay deals, this is my first to sour...

See above, I don't see this as necessarily a sour...

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!