 Marketplace / Auctions / 4236
Re: Questionable eBay auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:26:51 GMT

My advice to bidders is to check the auction terms and ask questions
**before** winning.

Did that.  The reply from seller was that he agreed to ship to Canada
and that shipping would be slightly higher.  No word about this fee.
So I bid.  Two days after the end of the auction, he checked with
his bank and discovered the huge fee.

If the terms don't specifically describe what you
are trying to do you may well get hit with fees which are, while
exorbitant, just cost recovery for the seller. Why should the seller eat
a 20 charge when he said in his listing he would not take payment that
way?

He shouldn't.  But he should know what he's doing before accepting
international bids, right?

Your auction may not be that precise circumstance but presumably you see
where I am coming from.

Yes.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do.  After many positive
Lugnet and eBay deals, this is my first to sour...

See above, I don't see this as necessarily a sour...

Generally, I agree.  In my case, though, the critical info came in a bit
late...

--
John
(remove the obvious to reply)