 Marketplace / Auctions / 4226
    Questionable eBay auction —John Koob
   Does anyone know of a bank in the USA that would charge a $15 fee to process an international money order in US funds? I've won an RCX from someone on eBay, and, since I'm in Canada, told the seller that I'd send the MO (which is drawn on an (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Questionable eBay auction —Julie Krenz
     I don't know the answer to your question, but if this person is being such a stinker (or maybe the bank is the stinker) and you want the item, you might want to try to arrange payment thru bid pay. I haven't used it yet, so I can't (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —Jim Stroot
     (...) The high bidder in one of my recent eBay auctions used BidPay and I'd recommend it. The buyer was located in Australia, and I received payment much faster than if she had sent it snail mail. Now if they can just get the cost and hassle of (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Questionable eBay auction —Daniel Delcollo
     have never had that particular problem, but did have a sittuation where I recieved a money order in USDollars, drawn on a foreign bank. my bank refused to cash it. but walked into another bank and they cashed it without a problem or a fee. The only (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Questionable eBay auction —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I dunno about 15, but my credit union charges 20. I love my CU for almost everything, except that. I take IMOs and canadian checks to a local bank where I have a savings account. Depositing there doesn't cost me money but it DOES cost me time, (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —John Koob
      (...) Did that. The reply from seller was that he agreed to ship to Canada and that shipping would be slightly higher. No word about this fee. So I bid. Two days after the end of the auction, he checked with his bank and discovered the huge fee. (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

          Re: Questionable eBay auction —Larry Pieniazek
      I'd say you have cause for complaint then, unless this is the FIRST time this seller has ever sold to Canada... check his feedbacks to see if you can spot anyone from CA and ask him what the deal is. If it is, I'd cut him a little slack, but not a (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

          Re: Questionable eBay auction —Frank Filz
       Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38931184.B08E05C4@v...er.net>... (...) And of course little worries about things like this are why many sellers insist on only US buyers. I have been involved in turning around one or two sellers, in acting as a US (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —James Brown
     (...) Is this a common practise in the States? It seems like a blatant example of shafting the customer, to me. I can see a fee for MO's not in US funds, or for MO's not drawn against a US bank, but a US money order drawn on a US bank should be (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —Kyle D. Jackson
      (...) for (...) James, near as I can tell, it *is* common practise. I don't know all the fancy terms for it, but the banking system in the USA is very different from here in Canada. In Canada we have the major banks (what, 5?), which are quite (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —Larry Pieniazek
     I think I read John's post too fast. If John is talking about a US money order drawn on a US branch of a US bank, I agree with you, it's blatant and there is no reason for it. The seller may be confused or shady. However all the other examples you (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Questionable eBay auction —Frank Filz
      Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <3894379C.B58A17EE@v...er.net>... (...) Postage paid deposit mailers is one of the reasons I stuck with my small town bank so long. Unfortunately, they got sucked up by a bigger bank (though we didn't really notice (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Questionable eBay auction —Tom Stangl
     My bank charges $20. HOWEVER, if your Money Order is a Canadian Postal Money Order, he can cash that for FREE at the US Postal Service. You might want to let him know that, and go get a CDN PMO if yours isn't one. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Questionable eBay auction —Daniel Siskind
   Banks only charge this fee when they're feeling like patriotic morons. If the MO is drawn from an American Bank (Citicorp for example), the the routing number will be for Citicorp NY, even though it may be drawn from a Canadian branch. I've argued (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.auction)