 Marketplace / Auctions / 4115
Re: item prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:17:54 GMT

This is an old argument, the prices should be fair, etc. ad nauseam ad
infinitum. There has been a huge line of debating on this subject
before, I think it was the Blue Hopper Mania in off-topic.debate, you
can see all sides of it there.

I'm going to add to what Scott said.  I sold 6 copies of 4555 to Tom S., for
around what it cost me.  I sold 7 copies of _the same set_ for around the same
amout to 4 other individuals, and just covered my costs (got something in
trade, which is worth it for me).  Tom is selling the sets on Ebay for $100,
which is more than what he paid me for them, but _I_ don't have the sets, I
sold them.  I offered in this case to buy sets (I ended up buying 13 copies for
various people) and resell them to people (look on .trains, the info is there,
not too loudly, but I did post it up)

That Tom and I both made some money on the deal to me is perfectly fair.  I
satisified people who _looked_ for the set, whereas Tom is satisfing people who
want the set to reach out to them.  I have bid on various auctions (none yet on
Ebay), and won some, lost some.  I get some of the rare stuff I want, at a
price I think I can afford (or, that I think is reasonable for the set, given
when the set was released, and its play value _to me_)

No-one is forcing you to bid on Ebay, you can take out a classified ad in your
local paper, and see if you get any lego that way.  You can go garage saling,
and see if you get any that way, or you can go to Ebay and pay top $ for sets,
that lots of people all around the world with different ideas of the value of
the set are bidding on.

James Powell