 Local / United Kingdom / 9254
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:15:58 GMT

"Scott A" <dr_scott_arthur@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:HrFFo9.CMo@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
Has anybody ever compared Lego prices between US and UK or any other • country
for that matter, or am I approaching a touchy subject here.

eg.
Imperial Star Destroyer US $299 UK £250
4028 bucket US $9.99 UK £9.99

I always compare prices. But the diffrences does me no good since I can't
shop from wherever I want. I'm living in Norway and have only a few options;
buy localy in the stores here in the country, buy at S@H and send it to my
sister in Germany and make her send it to Norway and the last option is
Bricklink....
The only place that is changing its prices (most of the time) over time, is
Bricklink.
(Even if Norway is one of the neigbour countrys to Denmark, we still can't
shop directly at S@H )

I've seen 5-6 year old sets that had much shelfwear or heavy damaged boxes
to the same price as new in the shop localy. I've asked the staff i they
could sell it to reduces price since the box is so badly treated. The answer
is that all brick should be intact and if not I can return the set....
Those set is still in the shelf :/

Over the last 5 years I've only seen reduced prices on LEGO sets 3 times,
and I have bought the sets on each occations  :)

Comparing prices here in Norway with the Norwegian Kroner values with the US
dollars or UK pound, you always have to take in considerations the ups and
downs of the exchange rates. And if it prices is over a special limit
(200NOK) I also have to pay more taxes and fees when buying from other
countrys.

Is it just me or are we paying over the odds for Lego here in the UK
considering that as far as I know there is not a manufacturing plant in • the
US so all Lego has to be imported.

Most people I know (non Lego users) say that Lego is expensive so they • are
more than happy to buy the copies (Mega-Blocks (spit)) for their kids.

In my opinion if Lego dropped their prices they may not make as much per
unit but they would certainly have a higher number of unit sales.

Gaz.

I think the prices for a LEGO set is overcoming, but would offcource like
them to drop the prices a little so I can buy more. But even if they dont, I
still is going to buy LEGO as long as I have money left...:)
And I dont think LEGO would drop their prices to get more volume sales. The
only thing that would help is set that people like.

And I'm glad the copies like Mega-Blocks never has been avaiable localy in
my town (Tromsø).
The only type of construction sets that LEGO can be compared with is
Meccano. Some people like them over LEGO but I think localy here in my area
the LEGO is more loved by the kids.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Norway