 General / 44769
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
   Has anybody ever compared Lego prices between US and UK or any other country for that matter, or am I approaching a touchy subject here.

eg. Imperial Star Destroyer US $299 UK £250 4028 bucket US $9.99 UK £9.99

When one adds in the very weak dollar(1), there is a real mismatch with prices right now. This is also partly due to tax (which pays for the public services our American friends don’t value as we do), but also due to our willingness to pay the prices Lego lays down.

(Should I pay £20 ($37) to buy the 4500 from S@H or get it for $16 on bricklink?)

Personally, I very seldom pay full RRP for sets; I prefer to wait for reductions. The problem is that Lego is getting less and less common on the “High Street”, only TRU (yes, I know) has a decent range. Places like Tesco were a good source of discounted Lego, but the range in my local store is now ~20% of what it was.

(1) I wonder how that is impacting on Lego USA’s profits?

Scott A

Have you had a look at Arthurs Seat Yet?

Is it just me or are we paying over the odds for Lego here in the UK considering that as far as I know there is not a manufacturing plant in the US so all Lego has to be imported.

Most people I know (non Lego users) say that Lego is expensive so they are more than happy to buy the copies (Mega-Blocks (spit)) for their kids.

In my opinion if Lego dropped their prices they may not make as much per unit but they would certainly have a higher number of unit sales.

Gaz.