 General / 44788
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:49:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christian Treczoks wrote:
gary tabener wrote:
Has anybody ever compared Lego prices between US and UK or any other country
for that matter, or am I approaching a touchy subject here.
Yes.

Have a look at the pricetag on a large tub of LEGO in their Brand Stores.

Cologne, Germany: EUR 15.99, i.e. with the Euro at $1.25 this is a
whopping US$19.98
Solomon Pond Mall, Marlboro MA, USA: US$12.99

Same for allmost all sets.

You can't explain this even with a 16% VAT.

The valuation of the Euro vs. the USD changes over time, and very few
international companies ever vary their local list prices based on these
fluctuations.  At times in its brief history, the Euro has had parity with the
dollar, and indeed was intended to.  If you assume an even 1:1 exchange rate,
and factor in the 5% sales tax that we here in Massachusetts pay on top of that
$12.99 ($12.95 actually), these prices are indeed comparable.

There are plenty of good reasons for the international community to resent the
United States.  However, the relative price charged by a Danish toy company is
not really a very good one, IMO.

- Chris.