 General / 44790
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:45:21 GMT

Chris Phillips wrote:
The valuation of the Euro vs. the USD changes over time, and very few
international companies ever vary their local list prices based on these
fluctuations.  At times in its brief history, the Euro has had parity with the
dollar, and indeed was intended to.  If you assume an even 1:1 exchange rate,
and factor in the 5% sales tax that we here in Massachusetts pay on top of that
$12.99 ($12.95 actually), these prices are indeed comparable.
Well, if I take out the local sales tax of 16%, I still get a EUR 13.79
price tag, and even if the dollar would come up to parity again (where
he does not belong, economically), it would still be more expensive.

Chances are, that TLC will have to rise the prices in the US to reduce
losses with the american market, anyway.

There are plenty of good reasons for the international community to resent the
United States.  However, the relative price charged by a Danish toy company is
not really a very good one, IMO.
I didn't say anything about resenting the normal citizens of the USA!?!
(although I make a great exception for certain members of your gouvernment)

I only stated that LEGO bricks and sets are generally about 30 percent
cheaper for the customers in the US for no appearent reason.

And if you take into consideration that most of the stuff is made right
around our corner, and has to be shipped to the US to reach your market,
it makes even less sense.

Yours, Christian