 General / 44804
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:43:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
   Has anybody ever compared Lego prices between US and UK or any other country for that matter, or am I approaching a touchy subject here.

eg. Imperial Star Destroyer US $299 UK £250 4028 bucket US $9.99 UK £9.99

You boys (and girls) over in the US and UK have got it easy - I’m in australia (yes, that little island down there) and getting well and truly fed up with Lego’s inflated prices. $299 for a star destroyer is beautiful - in fact, If it cost that much over here, I would be glad and would get one right away. As it is, it costs (ready?) $549 + $50 for postage and handling! GST and other taxes are included! Now, maybe I’m being a little cynical here, but I think that given that the US$ is 77c here, meaning that all items should only have 1/4 of their price tagged on, we actually have a pretty good reason to complain.

Now, no offence to those complaining about a slight price difference, I think that it is quite justified that you complain. But if you do complain, don’t forget how lucky you guys actually are!

   Is it just me or are we paying over the odds for Lego here in the UK considering that as far as I know there is not a manufacturing plant in the US so all Lego has to be imported.

Nor is there a manufacturing plant in Australia (AFAIK)

   Most people I know (non Lego users) say that Lego is expensive so they are more than happy to buy the copies (Mega-Blocks (spit)) for their kids.

On the other hand, mega blox (Gah, I think I need to wash my mouth with soap for uttering such a disgusting swear word) are nowhere near as good, and I see many parents and kids look directly at the M**a B**x and going directly to the lego.

   In my opinion if Lego dropped their prices they may not make as much per unit but they would certainly have a higher number of unit sales.

Less price per unit = more sales = more profit. If a man is selling rides on a horse for $5 per person per ride and he gets 2 people, he makes $10. If he is selling rides for $3 per person per ride, he may get up to 4, maybe 6 people, thus making $12-$18. One would assume that a higher price bracket actually means that lego loses money every time (unfortunately, people have gotten used to the prices of little plastic bricks, and this is why, when some people start doing economics in high school/uni, they quit, realising the extreme rip off.)

Just my two bricks,

-Matt

“Make it So”