 General / 44853
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:39:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Juergen Stuber wrote:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:
In lugnet.general, Nick Kappatos wrote:

To cut a long story short, VAT is not meant to fund healthcare.

True, it is a tax used for all kinds of expenditures.

VAT is used for "financing" the EU

That's not true.  The EU gets a cut from VAT, but only a small part.

I found figures for Germany in 1998 where the amount transfered to
EU is about 20% of the total of VAT, and this probably includes
also a share from other taxes.  How they arrive at this amount is
not made explicit, it seems to be very complicated and maybe based
on negotiations.

"Small" in Germany is "big" in our context. A more significant portion of our
VAT goes to Brussels, the fact that it later comes back notwithstanding.

and is redistributed in the form of (mainly) agricultural subsidies,

I'm all in favour of EU, but its agricultural policy makes me angry.

You can sentence that in the plural. If I once thought agricultural subsidies
were a strategic need, now I realize how they have become an endless pit in most
cases...

Pedro