 General / 44812
Re: Lego prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:33:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Pedro Silva wrote:
In lugnet.general, Nick Kappatos wrote:
In lugnet.general, Pedro Silva wrote:
Unions, public safety.... all this costs money.  They tax the people, they tax
the businesses.  The businesses have to make money some how to survive.  If
selling a toy (the best toy in the history of the universe, mind you) for an
extra $/EUR is how the merchants survive & country provides such a high quality
of life, that should be worth it.  I read a glowing report on the low crime
rates in Denmark, and how the Queen walks around without a bodyguard.  If I walk
into the wrong KMart at the wrong time looking for sale bricks, it's curtains
for Nicky.

To cut a long story short, VAT is not meant to fund healthcare. VAT is used for
"financing" the EU and is redistributed in the form of (mainly) agricultural
subsidies, but also the "convergency funds" that have allowed for
infrastructural work in poorer countries. The tax that funds healthcare is, in
many memberstates, implicit and deducted in the paycheque (like you wrote
above); or it's simply the income tax one pays yearly.
Regarding Denmark, they have one of the highest tax burdens, true, but mostly as
income tax (ergo, unnafecting LEGO prices on shelves).

I'll rescind the bit about health care, but there are still other services that
VAT and other taxes pay for.  Remember, we don't know what kind of taxes your
retailers are paying.  If they have to make up some of that burden on the retail
price of goods and services in order to keep their doors open, they're going to.

On a related note:
We have stores in the US that charge more for Lego sets than others, like Zany
Brainy, and Kohl's department store.  In the past couple of years, I've noticed
Kohl's has brought most of its prices in line with MSRP used by more traditional
retailers, like ToysRUs.  Zany Brainy is closing most of its stores.

-nk