 Local / United Kingdom / 9253
MOC: Glenbrick House
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:12:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Somewhere between Castle and Town this one!  Scroll down the page at:

http://aldisley.care4free.net/lego/glenbrick.html

Over the past few years I've spent quite a bit of time researching David
Bryce, who was a Victorian Edinburgh based architect most famous for his
country houses in Scots Baronial style.  This combined the internal
layout necessary for 19th century living (separate areas for servants,
guests and the family) with features mainly derived from Scottish
castles.  No-one would mistake them for anything but 19th century
mansions, but the castle influence is obvious.

It was only natural that I have a go at building a Bryce-style house in
LEGO.  While it would be nice to rebuild one of his mostly now
demolished large houses in miniland scale, the amount of LEGO required
was prohibitive.  I could just about stretch to a complete minifig-scale
model of his smallest houses, but they lacked the impact of the larger
ones.  So I decided to design my own façade, built mostly one room thick
and without a back, at minifig scale, which meant I could capture
something of the style and scale of the larger works without a major
outlay of bricks.  The design incorporates a number of classic Bryce
features: different turret designs (one round, one square), a typical
bay window, an aediculed window above the entrance door, and lots of
plaques and other features to liven up walls and the roofline, all
centred around a tower that rises about 50 bricks to the tip of the spike.

More description is on the page in question.  I've found that building
this has given me a new understanding of how Bryce's houses work in
three dimensions, and a new respect for how both architect and builders
constructed these complex houses from relatively scanty plans and
elevations.

Alastair

PS - please note the new web address below for my other creations.

--
LEGO creations: http://aldisley.care4free.net/lego/lego.html