 Local / United Kingdom / 8014
Re: Proposal for an AFOL Event at LEGOLAND Windsor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Tim Courtney writes:
LEGO probably wants you to display your creations to the general public.
Which is really cool, its just not what AFOLs primarily get together to do.
AFOLs want to get together, chat, build, teach each other skills
(Mindstorms, __theme__ building, LDraw, etc), play games like brikwars, etc...

Don't worry - we hold a lot of meetings for the UK crowd anyway.  I for one
won't be bothered if this is purely a public show.  It's no big deal for a
lot of us to get together anytime.

At BricksWest, it was somewhat a strain having the event essentially split
between two venues, LEGOLAND California and the adjacent hotel.  The AFOL
conferences and socializing time was at the hotel, the public display was at
the park.  Some people were disappointed that their group(s) displaying
ended up spending most of the time in the park manning the booth and didn't
get time to spend talking to other fans in the hotel.

I'd suggest you hold them as two separate events too then!  I'd like to see
a lot of people manning the show so that there's time to talk to the
visitors about the models.  I know I wouldn't think much of a show where it
was obvious that the exhibitors would rather be somewhere else.

The key is figuring out something that LEGO will get the most value out of
while at the same time giving the AFOL attendees the most value possible.
Cause, you want to walk away with LEGO happy, then you're building a better
working relationship between fans and the company. :-)  Something we'll be
discussing a LOT for BricksWest 2003 planning.

I agree with this - we want a good relationship with the company.  That's
why Jon wants to build a proper proposal.  I think the main points of this
event will be to build that relationship, but also to promote the hobby to
the public.  If the effect of that is that we end up helping LLW sell a lot
of sets then that benefits both parties.

I did ask on our recent tour why there were no exhibits in the park that
actually showed minifig modelling, when it's such a popular trademark, and
there was no real answer.  A lot of AFOLs have grown disappointed with the
LEGO ranges, but are now falling over themselves to pick up the MOTs,
Legends, and Daniel Siskind's MOC.

Bulk bricks hold more appeal than the old service packs too, although I'd
like to see a wider range of both.

Anyway, these are the things I'd like to see more of, and I'd like to do my
bit to try and persuade the company that they have broader public appeal
too.  If I'm wrong on this point, then so be it, but I like the way that
LEGO Direct are heading and I think that they could do with more exposure at
retail.

It just seems to me that LEGO are missing out on a big step of linking what
you see in the parks to what you can buy in Toys'R'Us, and we're in a
position where we can do something to bridge that gap.

Jason J Railton