 Local / United Kingdom / 8009
Re: Proposal for an AFOL Event at LEGOLAND Windsor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jon D. Hayward writes:

Before we go ahead though, we'd appreciate any ideas from the UK AFOL
community, especially with regard to:

o  suggestions for displays
o  ideas of sub-events
o  general logistics

I know I'm not a part of the UK AFOL community, but I'll throw in my
suggestions :)

Since you're displaying in a park, but holding an 'AFOL event,' a couple
things to keep in mind.

LEGO probably wants you to display your creations to the general public.
Which is really cool, its just not what AFOLs primarily get together to do.
AFOLs want to get together, chat, build, teach each other skills
(Mindstorms, __theme__ building, LDraw, etc), play games like brikwars, etc...

At BricksWest, it was somewhat a strain having the event essentially split
between two venues, LEGOLAND California and the adjacent hotel.  The AFOL
conferences and socializing time was at the hotel, the public display was at
the park.  Some people were disappointed that their group(s) displaying
ended up spending most of the time in the park manning the booth and didn't
get time to spend talking to other fans in the hotel.

The key is figuring out something that LEGO will get the most value out of
while at the same time giving the AFOL attendees the most value possible.
Cause, you want to walk away with LEGO happy, then you're building a better
working relationship between fans and the company. :-)  Something we'll be
discussing a LOT for BricksWest 2003 planning.

-Tim