 Local / Nederland / 159
Re: De Bouwsteen club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:20:22 GMT

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:39:04 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

[Snipped good reasons for doing ng's right the first time]

You make a great argument.  I *hate* it when my newsreader settings get
messed up.  (And don't get me started on mailing-lists that don't provide
consistent header information.)

Or maybe it would be better to have a www.lugnet.com/clubs/ homepage,
without a newsgroup behind it.  The clubs homepage would provide links to
the club-homepages, where-ever they are in the lugnet hierarchy.

There could be a lugnet.clubs group underlying the homepage, for general
discussion about clubs.  It could serve as a launchpad for new clubs, just
getting organized.

That sounds like a good, workable possibility -- a single .clubs group with
pointers everywhere.  Just like .trains.org is, but for everything (not just
trains).

Right.  Or it could be lugnet.org.  But that would look a bit odd:
lugnet.com/org/.

Hmm. Seems kind of overly-long.  And a bit inconsistent.  Would it make
more sense for all club-groups to be based in the .loc hierarchy?

What about "virtual" clubs that span the globe -- purely topical or
demographic groups, rather than geographical groups?  Where would they
fit in?

Hmm.  They could be directly under lugnet.loc.  But that's not really a
good approach--too messy and inconsistent with the rest of .loc.  Or
virtual clubs could be located under lugnet.clubs.  Or they could be fit
into the lugnet hierarchy, whereever they would intuitively fall.

I suppose the train-clubs have more affinity to the .trains hierarchy
than they do to their geographic location, but still...

Where would you put the train clubs in the loc hierarchy?

[Snipped good, thought-provoking examples]

One way to iron out the blurriness would be always to place a group at the
highest reasonable point in the ng hierarchy; another way would be always to
place a group at the "intuitive" level or "home base" level in the hierarchy
-- in other words where the group is mainly based:  .loc.us for PNLTC,
GMLTC, and NELUG; .loc.us.ca.sf for BayLUG; .loc.us.va for NOVALTC,
loc.us.ga for NGLTC.

Using the second approach is more practical, I think.

Steve