 Local / Nederland / 157
Re: De Bouwsteen club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:53:08 GMT

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:25:42 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

Last September, there was briefly a lugnet.clubs.* hierarchy with a single
group, lugnet.clubs.pnltc -- but I'd misunderstood something Steve Barile
wrote to me, so it was only very short-lived.

  http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=9
  http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=15

One thing we could do is resurrect that part of the newsgroup hierarchy and
do something like:

  lugnet.clubs.debouwsteen  (or lugnet.clubs.bouwsteen)

and, if other clubs/groups wanted in, then:

  lugnet.clubs.pnltc
  lugnet.clubs.gmltc
  lugnet.clubs.novaltc
  lugnet.clubs.baylug
  lugnet.clubs.nelug

I *still* think that's a good idea, at least until there are *dozens* of
clubs around.  And the best way (in my mind) for lugnet to encourage more
clubs, is to concentrate the existing clubs in one hierarchy, to show
everyone just how many clubs there are.

Or maybe it would be better to have a www.lugnet.com/clubs/ homepage,
without a newsgroup behind it.  The clubs homepage would provide links to
the club-homepages, where-ever they are in the lugnet hierarchy.

There could be a lugnet.clubs group underlying the homepage, for general
discussion about clubs.  It could serve as a launchpad for new clubs, just
getting organized.

But that might get crowded or confusing after a while without additional
divisions, so a better possibility might be to place groups more naturally
closer to their point of contact with the rest of the world, i.e.:

  lugnet.loc.nl.org.debouwsteen  (or lugnet.loc.nl.org.bouwsteen)

and, if other clubs/groups wanted in, then:

  lugnet.trains.org.pnltc
  lugnet.trains.org.gmltc
  lugnet.trains.org.novaltc
  lugnet.loc.us.ca.org.baylug
  lugnet.loc.us.org.nelug

Hmm. Seems kind of overly-long.  And a bit inconsistent.  Would it make
more sense for all club-groups to be based in the .loc hierarchy?  I
suppose the train-clubs have more affinity to the .trains hierarchy than
they do to their geographic location, but still...

The .org paradigm is already in place in two spots...

  lugnet.trains.org - National and local train clubs/organizations for
     LEGO® enthusiasts: group formation, founding, planning, announcements,
     etc.; inter-group coordination and planning; general ideas, thoughts,
     inspirations, insights, experiences, etc.

  lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw - Focused discussion group for the planning and
     development of the domain ldraw.org, its website, and related
     resources.

I don't think ldraw.org counts as a club, since we're unlikely to ever have
an RL meeting.

Steve