 Local / Nippon / 75
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:04:05 GMT

In lugnet.loc.jp, Todd Lehman writes:
I've got a few LEGO characters in need of interesting names, so I decided
to try browsing through a Japanese-English dictionary called JEDI[1] looking
for ideas.  It was a lot of fun, but unfortunately, since I don't speak
Japanese, I'm not certain that the words I found are truly appropriate as
fierce warrior names.  Some of the names I'm considering are:

  Zenkai, Hankai, Gekishin, Oojishin, Jakushin, Hakujin, Nukiuchi, • Chokugeki,
  Arashi, Sokkazan, Yatsuzaki, Tomogui, Kaijin, Tamakizu, Hiryuu, Banrai,
  Kaimetsu, Daikatsu, Yakusai, Ryuudan, Moujuu, Gaidoku.

Are any of those words inappropriate, offensive, or otherwise unsuitable?
(I noticed that some of the words have multiple[2] or subtle[3] meanings.)

Any help/pointers appreciated!  ^_^

--Todd

[1] JEDI = Japanese-English Dictionary Interface
   <http://www.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/jedi>

[2] for example, it says that 'banrai' means both "many guests" and "heavy
   thunder."

[3] for example, it says that 'kekkon' means 'bloodstain', so I thought
   that was kind of a cool name...but then it also lists related forms
   of 'kekkon' all relating to matrimony...which makes me think that maybe
   it's a different type of bloodstain than the kind from battle.

Dear Mr.Lehman

I want to be excused from putting in a word,because I'm usually interested in
a fictitious proper noun.

There is little case that usual nouns are independently used for proper noun
in Japanese.("hiryuu" ,"arashi" are possible case.)
I seem because usual nouns directly represent a meaning of something than
person's image.
So we genarate new word for proper noun by combining several chinese
character which have each memning and pronunciation.
(many proper nouns are NOT dictionary word.)

For example...(my trial creration)

JA-REI-OU
    JA:evil   REI:spirit    OU:KING   =The king of evil spirit
GA-ROU-GA
    GA:humger  ROU:wolf GA:fang(different chinese character from first "GA")
MA-RYUU-IN
    MA:devil,magical,supernatural RYUU:dragon  IN:one of honorific title
BAK(U)-KO-MARU
    BAKU:explode KO:tiger MARU:suffix for name of child samrai,sword,ship,dog
GEKISIN-KI
    GEKISIN(one of your selection):big earth quake KI:ogre

You seem to me to give weight to SOUNDS of the word,I recommend you following
way.Please come it up for one of possibility.

(1)Searching Japanese word what you like at SOUND(short one is desirable.)

(2)Selecting word what you like at MEANING from(1)

(3)Combining two or three from(2)

Sincerely.

# Ayumi Hayase/ayucow@mvd.biglobe.ne.jp
# http://member.nifty.ne.jp/hayase/lego/