 Local / Nippon / 86
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:51:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.jp, Todd Lehman writes:
BTW, do you happen to know of any really excellent super-great Japanese-
English dictionaries on the net? The best one I found ("JEDI") seems to be
pretty good, but doesn't rank the subtle differences.

Well, I've used "Jeffrey's Japanese<->English Dictionary Server"
(http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/tty/fg=r/dict) with much success. It can
give you either romanji or kanji translations, and does partial word
searches. It has those little notations (an and vs for example), as well as
a page that explains what they mean, and the ability to configure the
interface a bit. I think that people can submit definitions, so it seems to
have a lot of the secondary and subtle alternate meanings.

Since I have different cultures in my MOCs, I've also used the "NameDB" for
names from other parts of the world (http://incompetech.com/named). Takase
Studio's "Names in Japanese" (http://www.takase.com/Names/NameInJapanese.htm)
is another good resource, but I didn't use it much.

By the way, thanks for the awesome list of suggested names!
Saves me a bunch of research, since I'm in the process of naming my world and
characters (MOC Ninja).

I realize this is a little late, but it may help others. :)