 Local / Nippon / 48
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 05:25:22 GMT

Yuki Sasaki wrote:
  Zenkai, Hankai, Gekishin, Oojishin, Jakushin, Hakujin, Nukiuchi,
  Chokugeki, Arashi, Sokkazan, Yatsuzaki, Tomogui, Kaijin, Tamakizu,
  Hiryuu, Banrai, Kaimetsu, Daikatsu, Yakusai, Ryuudan, Moujuu, Gaidoku.

Among these, Hiryuu (Flying Dragon) and Arashi (Storm) can sound like names
for warriors or wrestlers.  They sound pretty good.  Most of the others are
simply words which would be pretty unlikely as names (e.g. Nukiuchi, Tomogui
& Gaidoku), but don't worry, none of these are offensive, and a Japanese
person would be impressed that you worked hard to come up with japanese
names.

OK, cool, great, thanks!  And given the meaning of Tomogui, I can't imagine
that for a human warrior's name either...heh heh.  But the name actually
fits this particulary character I have, assuming that it's not too strange
to give a name that's not normally a name.  The idea behind these names is
that I want to give the characters interesting non-Western names with
befitting meanings.  So if the names were English, for example, one of the
characters might be named, oh, say, Hammer's Strike or Arrow's Woosh --
things like that.  Those names wouldn't very likely be used for warriors or
wrestlers, but it's the meaning and the "mouthfeel" of the names that I'm
after more than how likely they are as real names.  If it helps, the
warriors
I made are large, brightly colored non-humans.

By the way, when we hear the word Hakujin, the first meaning we think of is
"Caucasian person". :)

I was wondering about that one.  :)  Fortunately, the J.E.D.I. dictionary
listed that meaning as well as the meaning "drawn sword" so I still have
confidence in it.  :)

OK, so I'll have to change that one, then -- the character I had for that
name is actually bright orange and blue!  :)

[3] for example, it says that 'kekkon' means 'bloodstain', so I thought
    that was kind of a cool name...but then it also lists related forms
    of 'kekkon' all relating to matrimony...which makes me think that
    maybe it's a different type of bloodstain than the kind from battle.

The differences in meanings are clear when these words are written in
Chinese characters.  The "bloodstin" Kekkon and the "marriage" Kekkon are
represented by different Chinese characters, even though they share the
same sounds.  These two are unrelated words. :)

Have fun!

Thanks!  BTW, since the Romaji versions of the names are perfectly
pronounceable to any English speaker, I was thinking of spelling them
out in Romaji.  A couple questions (if you don't mind me using this group
for this sort of thing)...

1.  Would the names be equally clear in all capital letters as in mixed
    case? -- i.e., are ZENKAI and YATSUZAKI just as clear as Zenkai and
    Yatsuzaki?  The typeface I'm thinking of using looks best with only
    uppercase letters.

2.  Assuming that I avoid words with conflicting meanings in their Romaji
    representations, would it insult to anyone if I wrote out the Romaji
    versions only -- rather than the pure character glyph versions?

--Todd