 Local / Nippon / 60
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 00:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.jp, Todd Lehman writes:

BTW, do you happen to know
of any really excellent super-great Japanese-English dictionaries on the net?

I don't use japanese-english dictionaries very much, so I don't know.

By the way, if 'chokugeki' means "direct hit," does it mean a point of direct
hit (i.e., a bomb target or bullet hole) or could it also mean a warrior who
makes direct hits?  That is to say, if I name a warrior Chokugeki, will it
imply that the warrior is a laughable easy target or that the warrior is an
excellent marksman?

Since 'chokugeki' simply means "direct hit" without any references to
directionalities, the warrior with that name could be the one who either gives
or receives the hit.  It could be a good name though.

I looked up more about 'futeki' and it seems that it has two nearly opposite
meanings!  ^_^

Really? It literally means "without enemy" , thus "bold, fearless".  I wonder
what the other meaning you found.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

You're most welcome.  It's interesting to see which Japanese words sound cool
to English-speaking people.