 Local / Nippon / 56
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 05:05:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.jp, Todd Lehman writes:
Yuki Sasaki wrote:
  Zenkai, Hankai, Gekishin, Oojishin, Jakushin, Hakujin, Nukiuchi,
  Chokugeki, Arashi, Sokkazan, Yatsuzaki, Tomogui, Kaijin, Tamakizu,
  Hiryuu, Banrai, Kaimetsu, Daikatsu, Yakusai, Ryuudan, Moujuu, Gaidoku.

Among these, Hiryuu (Flying Dragon) and Arashi (Storm) can sound like names
for warriors or wrestlers.

I really like Hiryuu.  I first encountered it in RPGe's Fan Translation of
Final Fantasy V.  ;)  They did an excellent job of translating it, too.

OK, cool, great, thanks!  And given the meaning of Tomogui, I can't imagine
that for a human warrior's name either...heh heh.  But the name actually
fits this particulary character I have, assuming that it's not too strange
to give a name that's not normally a name.

That is one of the few words not in my dictionary.  What does it mean?

The idea behind these names is that I want to give the characters interesting
non-Western names with befitting meanings.  So if the names were English, for
example, one of the characters might be named, oh, say, Hammer's Strike or
Arrow's Woosh -- things like that.  Those names wouldn't very likely be used
for warriors or wrestlers, but it's the meaning and the "mouthfeel" of the
names that I'm after more than how likely they are as real names.  If it
helps, the warriors I made are large, brightly colored non-humans.

So, are you creating a race of warrior space aliens or medieval monsters?  ;)

Thanks!  BTW, since the Romaji versions of the names are perfectly
pronounceable to any English speaker, I was thinking of spelling them
out in Romaji.

Well, I wouldn't say "perfectly" pronouncable...  ;)

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

P.S.  Most of my knowledge of the Japanese Language I learned from Anime (and
the related fan base), Japanese music, video game translations, and a basic
English-Japanese dictionary.  ;)  I do hope to learn the language one day,
though!