 Local / Nippon / 52
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:49:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.jp, Yuki Sasaki writes:
There's basically no difference between Zenkai and ZENKAI to us.

OK, great!

We may not recognize some of the words you listed above as Japanese (e.g.
Hankai, Sokkazan & daikatsu) without seeing them written in Chinese
characters and hearing them in a right context.  Zenkai could mean "last
time" and "completely open", and without the Chinese characters, the
intended meaning may not be very clear.

Oh, hmm.  Well, the meaning I wanted for Zenkai was "complete destruction."
Is that more of an obscure meaning for the word?  BTW, do you happen to know
of any really excellent super-great Japanese-English dictionaries on the net?
The best one I found ("JEDI") seems to be pretty good, but doesn't rank the
subtle differences.

But don't worry, not using Chinese characters should not
insult or offend anybody.  Personally, I think it's great that you're
trying to name your own characters according to what you want them to
represent.  A name like Kaimetsu makes me think of a monster that would
bring the end of the world!  I'll be happy to hear some more!

Great!  That's a good name, then.  :)  Not that these characters are actually
intent on world annihilation, but the names are supposed to strike fear in
the hearts of their enemies.  :)

Just for fun, here's the full list of names I thought might work -- along
with the intended character representations...  I know that some of them --
for example 'banjin', and 'hakujin', which you pointed out earlier -- are
probably too ambiguous when written purely in Romaji...but it's very
encouraging to hear that many actually will work nicely.

By the way, if 'chokugeki' means "direct hit," does it mean a point of direct
hit (i.e., a bomb target or bullet hole) or could it also mean a warrior who
makes direct hits?  That is to say, if I name a warrior Chokugeki, will it
imply that the warrior is a laughable easy target or that the warrior is an
excellent marksman?

I looked up more about 'futeki' and it seems that it has two nearly opposite
meanings!  ^_^

Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

--Todd

List of collected favorites...

[akui] ill will/malice/spite/evil intention/bad faith
[akunen] evil thought/malicious motive/spite
[arashi] storm/tempest
[assaiki] grinder/crusher
[banjin] 10000 fathoms/great depths/great height
[banrai] heavy thunder
[boukun] tyrant/despot
[chikushou] beast/brute/damn
[chokugeki] direct hit
[daikatsu] (vs) shouting in a thunderous voice
[deshabaru] to intrude/to butt in
[fukiareru] to blow violently/to sweep over/to devastate
[fumetsu] (a-no) immortal/undying/indestructible
[futeki] (an) daring/fearless/intrepid/bold/tough
[gaichou] vermin/injurious bird
[gaidoku] harm/injury/mischief/poison/virus
[geketsu] bloody bowel discharge
[gekietsu] (an) violent/vehement
[gekisen] fierce (hard-fought) battle/hot contest
[gekishin] severe earthquake
[gekitou] fierce fighting
[gouka] hell fire
[hakateki] destructive
[hakidasu] to vomit/to spit out
[hakujin] drawn sword/naked sword
[hakujou] (an) unfeeling/heartless/cold-hearted/cruel
[hankai] partial destruction
[hasai] (vs) crushing/smashing/cracking to pieces
[hawatari] length of a sword blade/walking on the edge of a sword
[hikitsuri] scar/spasm/twitch
[hineritsubusu] to pinch and crush/to pinch out
[hiryuu] flying dragon
[hyakurai] hundred thunderclaps
[ishu] grudge/malice/spite
[itazuki] pain/trouble
[itazura] (an) (vs) tease/prank/trick/mischief
[jakushin] mild earthquake
[kagai] evil/harm/mischief
[kagyaku] cruel treatment
[kaijin] ash/embers/complete destruction
[kaimetsu] (vs) destruction/annihilation
[kashaku] torture/maltreatment/pangs (of conscience)
[keikan] strong and fierce
[kekkon] bloodstain
[kogasu] to burn/to scorch/to singe/to char
[kogekusai] smelling (or tasting) burnt
[kogeru] (vi) to burn/to be burned
[konsen] free-for-all fight
[kuchiku] extermination/expulsion/destruction
[kujiku] to crush/to break/to sprain
[kusai] stinking
[kushami] (uk) sneeze
[kushi] spit/skewer
[makaze] storm caused by the devil/evil wind
[mokusatsu] ignore/shelve/smother/treat with silent contempt
[moujuu] wild animal/beast of prey
[mugoi] cruel/atrocious/merciless/inhuman/brutal
[mujou] heartlessness/hardness/cruelty/ruthless
[nagaredama] stray bullet
[nejiru] to torture/to wrest
[nekketsu] hot blood/zeal/fervor/ardor
[nukiuchi] to draw a katana and attack in the same stroke/to do something
  suddently, without warning
[oojishin] major earthquake
[reigan] cold look
[reiguu] cold reception/inhospitality
[reiketsu] cold-bloodedness/coldheartedness
[reiki] cold/chill/cold weather/cold wave/cold air
[reikoku] cruelty/coldheartedness/relentless/ruthless[waruitazura] mischief
[ryuudan] stray bullet
[ryuuketsu] bloodshed
[sainamu] to torment/to torture/to harass
[sankouki] boring machine/perforator
[satsubatsu] bloodthirsty/brutal/savage
[senbotsu] death in battle/killed in action
[senshu] userper/tyrant
[shakaku] angle of fire
[shibuki] (uk) splash/spray
[shiraku] bloodletting
[sokkazan] parasite volcano
[surikudaku] to rub to pieces/to grind into powder
[takeshi] (arch) brave
[tamakizu] bullet wound
[tomogui] cannibalism (in animals)/mutual destruction/internecine
  struggle/eating each other/damaging each other
[tsuba] spit/saliva
[tsukikuzusu] to crush/to break through
[uchikudaku] to smash/to crush
[waruagaki] wicked mischief/wicked play
[yakiharau] to clear away by burning/to reduce to ashes
[yakikorosu] to kill by burning to death
[yakusai] calamity/disaster/accident
[yatsuzaki] tearing limb from limb/tearing apart/cutting (a person) to pieces
[yoshiaru] of rank/of noble birth
[yoshigoto] night work
[yoshin] preliminary tremor/aftershock
[yoshuu] lingering odor