 Local / Nippon / 62
Re: Fierce warrior names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 06:39:53 GMT

You could also try Chinese, lots Chinese people have names with cool
meanings (like Jackie Chan's real name, Chéng Lóng, which means "to become a
dragon").

--

Paul Davidson

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
I've got a few LEGO characters in need of interesting names, so I decided
to try browsing through a Japanese-English dictionary called JEDI[1] • looking
for ideas.  It was a lot of fun, but unfortunately, since I don't speak
Japanese, I'm not certain that the words I found are truly appropriate as
fierce warrior names.  Some of the names I'm considering are:

   Zenkai, Hankai, Gekishin, Oojishin, Jakushin, Hakujin, Nukiuchi, • Chokugeki,
   Arashi, Sokkazan, Yatsuzaki, Tomogui, Kaijin, Tamakizu, Hiryuu, Banrai,
   Kaimetsu, Daikatsu, Yakusai, Ryuudan, Moujuu, Gaidoku.

Are any of those words inappropriate, offensive, or otherwise unsuitable?
(I noticed that some of the words have multiple[2] or subtle[3] meanings.)

Any help/pointers appreciated!  ^_^

--Todd

[1] JEDI = Japanese-English Dictionary Interface
    <http://www.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/jedi>

[2] for example, it says that 'banrai' means both "many guests" and "heavy
    thunder."

[3] for example, it says that 'kekkon' means 'bloodstain', so I thought
    that was kind of a cool name...but then it also lists related forms
    of 'kekkon' all relating to matrimony...which makes me think that • maybe
    it's a different type of bloodstain than the kind from battle.