 Local / Deutschland / 646
Re: Intellectual property and the Internet (Was "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 04:49:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kerry Raymond writes:
What if someone uses your MOC photo on brickshelf to create their own model or
something similar? Copyright protects the image, not the idea that the image
may represent. To protect ideas, you need a patent. Because of the cost of
taking out a patent, most of us would not patent our Lego designs unless we
expect to make a lot of money from them. Even if the image is not of the
finished MOC but is instead instructions for building your MOC, it is still the
text/images that is protected by the copyright, not the actions described by
the text/images. In this case, someone else cannot copy/print the instructions
but they can look/build from the picture/instructions.

This doesn't make much sense to me.  If I create a sculpture, for example, I
own the copyright to the sculpture, because it is a unique creative work,
right?  So if I build a MOC, I have the copyright to the MOC, not just the
pictures of it...

Suppose I wrote a short essay.  Then I take a photo of the essay and post it on
the Internet.  I own the rights to that photo.  Someone else comes along, and
decides they like the work, so they type part or all of it up, and then publish
it.  To me, that's plagiarism.  But, from your point of view, I only owned the
rights to the photo, so the second individual had every right to copy the idea
presented in the photo.

Is there something I'm missing here?
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht