 Marketplace / Auctions / 9696
Re: Intellectual property and the Internet (Was "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:12:38 GMT

Kerry explained very detailed that copyright is difficult, even if he mixes
up pictures and ideas as Bram correctly states.

No, *she* does not!

But we are getting into the areas where the laws of various countries differ.
Generally you can only assume that copyright is protecting the text/image and
not the idea. For example in Australia ... taken from www.copyright.com.au

The written instructions for making a craft item may be protected by copyright
as a "literary work", and copyright
may be infringed if these instructions are copied - for example by photocopying
them. However, copyright in
instructions is not infringed merely by making something following the
instructions.

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts or information. Nor does it protect
styles or techniques or methods.
Copyright protects the way in which an idea or concept is expressed - for
example, as a drawing, as a craft item
or as a piece of writing.
Thus, the idea of making a quilt showing the arrival of the First Fleet is not
protected, but the actual quilt which
embodies this idea may be protected; the technique of découpage is not
protected by copyright, but a person's
written description of this technique is protected; the idea of making a moving
wooden toy depicting a kangaroo
is not protected, but drawings of the component parts are protected, as is the
toy.