 Marketplace / Auctions / 9708
Re: "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:24:00 GMT

Ultimately this may be the best thing to happen.  There's some understanding
and a whole lot of us learned something from it.  I wonder though, where do
you plan to go from here?  Did the apology suffice?  I suppose you could ask
for some of the money he took in from the auction.  Probably unrealistic.
What happens now?  I can see a legal disclamer on the website, but unless
you have the political and finacial muscle to back it up, why bother?  It
becomes a hollow threat.

And, just to stir things up, what if the auctioned model was a convertable
instead of a hard top?  Would it still have been an infringement?  Meaning
the diablo looked exactly like Bram's except the builder left some parts off
to make it look like a convertable.  The reason I mention it is that to
build the convertable version may take some extensive re-design. Now it may
be that simple, might not.  I haven't seen one to know.

This whole thing is kind of bizzare.  I do think you handled it very well Bram.

Mark

In lugnet.market.auction, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Well, I contacted the seller, and he apologized.  He admitted that he had been
inspired by my model and built a similar car.  Then, in order to get rid of
some white parts and Ferrari wheels, he built another copy to sell.  He
mentioned that this was a one-time-only deal, and that he hadn't expected his
actions to upset anyone.  I had hoped he would close the auction or compensate
me in some way for using my design, but it looks like an apology is all I can
hope for.  Hopefully in the future, he will be more careful about giving credit
where credit is due.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu