 Marketplace / Auctions / 9673
Re: "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:14:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> skrev i meddelandet
Saw this on Brickshelf:
And found this to get a closer look at the design:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=3102058611

Now compare the photos to these:
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/gallery/?n=10&i=dscn0966.jpg

As far as I can see, not a brick is the same in the two constructions! Just
because yours is the first one you've seen in Lego, you shouldn't believe
everyone is copying that. The car that you both are modelling is the same,
right?

Not a brick is the same?  Oh come now.  The techniques to make the side air
intakes and rear wheel fenders are IDENTICAL.

That being said, there are enough differences that you could probably try to
argue that they were independently designed, but I have great doubts about
that being the case.  The coincidences between the two are just too great to
ignore.

I think he used Bram's car as a base and built his own version.  Whether he
copied it or not is a matter of semantics.  That he's profiting from a
design that may not have been his own is a little shady, though.  I am not a
lawyer, though, so I really don't know how Bram should handle the situation.
Perhaps a friendly email might be a way to start.

Adrian

All that aside, I think it looks better in red/orange or whatever the color
it is you have used.

Happy building (and New Year)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden