 Local / Deutschland / 644
Re: "Borrowed" Lamborghini Diablo design on Ebay.de
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Jon Palmer writes:
In my opinion this is a direct copy.  The only reason this differs at all
from Bram's is probably because he couldn't get all the parts he wanted.  To
say that Bram's Diablo is a rendition of the real car is totally beside the
point.  Bram spent hours working on this to get every detail and angle just
right.  Now someone else has come along and copied Bram's design almost to
the letter.

So you guys that are saying this is no big deal are basically saying all
MOCs are fair game?  This makes me want to go through all of your galleries
and pick one of your creations, copy it as best I can, and sell it.  No big
deal right?

Hi Jon,
Actually, I don't see any problem with doing that!  I would be flattered if
someone found one of my ideas worthy of selling!  Personally, I don't even
care if they give me credit or not.  Who's to say someone else didn't come
up with the same idea that I had or whether they came up with it before me.
I'm not trying to make a profit off of anything I make.  Should I get mad
cause someone else wants to?  I don't see why!  I find it funny that someone
would even buy another persons creation.  Why not just make one yourself?
Only reason I can see for buying such a thing is that you don't have the
talent to build one or you need it for parts you might not have.  I can't
see where a person can claim any idea as exclusively his!  All ideas are
just combinations of other images and concepts you've seen or that were used
before!  In other words, we use what others have done before to create
something a little different.  That's the whole creative process!  There's
nothing really new in the world!  It's all just a combination of things
already done!  Did Bram design the original Lamborghini car?  No, he just
copied the basic design already used by the car company.  And the car
company copied other cars as well.  The Lamborghini wasn't the first car
with 4 wheels, etc.!  It's just a copy of other designs!  If you aren't in
the process of obtaining a patent on an item and you aren't depending on it
to make a living, why worry about it?  Be happy that someone liked your
creation enough to mimic it!  It is a sincere form of flattery!
That's my 2 cents worth..
Tom

[ j o n ]
--
| Lego - http://zemi.net/lego
| Shipyard - http://zemi.net/shipyard
| Moonbase - http://www.classic-space.com/moonbase/start/
| Store - http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=jpalmer

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message
Saw this on Brickshelf:
And found this to get a closer look at the design:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=3102058611

Now compare the photos to these:
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/gallery/?n=10&i=dscn0966.jpg
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/gallery/?n=10&i=dscn1081.jpg
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/gallery/?n=10&i=dscn0991.jpg
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/gallery/?n=10&i=dscn1036.jpg

To me, it looks like he tried to copy my design as close as he could, and • just
changed a few things to make his choice of wheels fit and remove the • motors.
I never got an email from him about it or anything.
Does anyone have any advice for me?  I don't know what to do...
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
www.bldesign.org