 Local / Australia / 1434
Re: To Todd - Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:11:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
When you say, "this will be required," what do you mean by "this"?
"This" being, that we will let you know when someone's being a pain. We
will require you to know when someones being a pain so that you can
slap their wrist :)

Okie dokie.

This reminds me of an incident in my first year of highschool. We had a
science teacher called Mrs Law, and her very first line to us "my name is Mrs
Law, and I AM THE LAW". <groan> I knew highschool would be downhill from there
on.

We'll do what we can to keep the riff-raff out, but we'll call the special
forces if it so requires.

You mean a list of people or a list of rules?
A list of rules I was asking about. I guess what I'm really asking is,
what are the lugnet.com/org/ pages meant to be used for?

Basically, anything you want, related to your LUG/club/group/organization.

Excellent :-)

Can we use it as a homepage for the organisation (with details such as
events, members, photos etc)

Yup!  You'll just need to choose someone to maintain the pages in the
/org/au/ hierarchy of the website.  Any people who are LUGNET members
can create private pages within that as well, using their member ID.
(See <http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/> for more details.)

Yeah we'll take care of that, internal matter.

or are we to use it as a page for people who want to use the .org.au
newsgroup only? (with only rules for example)

The website part can be as in-depth as you like -- it doesn't have to be
restricted to official newsgroup-related business.

Groovy.

[...]
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but my view of the org classification was,
that it was to be the focal point for discussion of various organisations'
members.  Non-members can participate of course, but the dealings within
the .org groups must be about organisational affairs. This would include
such details as events, meetings, administration,.. and in ou[r] case of
.org.au we'd also like to be able to conduct auctions.

Yup, that's spot on!

Yay, things are being resolved :-)

However I can see that by asking for auctions is complicating issues a
bit, who gets to auction within the organisation? We can solve who gets
to bid (see below).

That's for you to decide (and police :-).   It does complicate things a
bit, but if you're willing to take on the challenge, you'll probably be
glad you did.

In the style of Homer J Simpson: Challenge accepted!

[...]
What the wording should inidicate is that auctions in .org.au must be
exclusively for members of that organisation.

I.e., members of LegOz and/or Studs?

Yes, once we sort that matter out. But for now we can say that "Studs" is
looking after LegOz, until Mugs (Melbourne) & Bugs (Brisbane) get their act
together. (*wink* they don't have to use those names)

Now as this particular
organisation is for Australian residents, it is in effect saying that
auctions must be for Australians only (although we may have some
honourary non-Australian members also).

Maybe what we should do is have the charter state that auction traffic
is permitted under circumstances outlined in an external page which you
can have access to write up and custom-tailor as things develop.

Yeah I'll take care of that.

Perhaps can Todd can tell me if this actually is setting a bad precedent.

I'm not too worried.  In a worst-case scenerio, we might have to back up,
clean up some mess, and reexamine things, but I don't think this is a bad
precedent at all -- I've always wanted the .org.* groups to be able to
serve specific clubs/organizations as strongly as possible.

Thanks for assisting in all this trouble Todd, we might've stirred up some
trouble earlier, and with this too, but things are clearer to me (anyhow) now
on where we can proceed.

I hope things work out, so that other orgs wont cause such hassles ;-)

Cheers
Santosh