 Local / Australia / 1396
Re: To Todd - Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 05:59:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman passes on much useful information:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
[...]
Well i said that as i thought that .org. groups only allowed members to • post,
as it turns out I was wrong. I just went and checked some of the group
charters. So i'm assuming that yes anyone can post into the group, though
posting doesn't mean automatic membership :-)

There's currently no mechanism in place in the newsserver to limit posting to
a given group to a given set of named people in an "easy" way, although there
is a mechanism to block specific people from specific groups if they've been
naughty.

So then if anyone can post into org.au(oceiania) then how is it possible to
limit auction posts? This is an administrative nightmare for Todd if
organisations start saying who can post, who can't post, who can read, who
can't read, who's only allowed to see the third word in each line etc..

If someone posts to your .org.au in an annoying way and they ignore your
warnings or kind reminders about whatever they're doing wrong, you can let
me know that you'd like them prohibited from posting to your .org.au group
and I can shut them off from that.  If it really gets to be a problem with a
lot of people making a mess, then I'll have to look at ways to help you
automate the in's & out's of people lists in a way that you can administrate
yourself via some configuration webpage.

Yes this will be required. Is this the type of information that will go onto
the lugnet.com/org/au/ page?. Can we take the easy way out by saying "you must
comply with all Lugnet Terms and conditions and in addition...."

But on the same note if you don't place some restrictions surely we'll get • to
a point where every auctioner and their dog will be posting auction notices
into org.au even if it has nothing to do with the organisation.

Ya, I think you'll want to make a guidelines page that maybe explains the
charter in more detail (the rationale behind it) and I think Kerry's • suggestion
of noting that non-Oz auction stuff is verboten in .org.au is a great
suggestion.

Perhaps as a guideline for acution posts we could state:
"Only auction notices that pertain specifically to org.au members are allowed"
ie. no general auctions (global), no cross post auctions (eg, for everyone in
US and Australia). Only specific auctions for Org.au members.[1]

As a note this still leaves it open for say someone in America to specifically
auction something to us down here. But it wouldn't allow one of us to auction
things off to to up there.

Hypothetical: someone in the US wants to auction an item and is willing to
ship to Australia, can they post an auction notice into org.au ?? or does it
belong in the general auction group?

Heh heh!  :)  I would definitely view that as an abuse, but it's really up to
you if you want to allow that sort of thing.  Anyone in his/her right mind who
ships internationally will also ship to Oz.  I guess you'd want to make a page
of examples or something further clarifying what's meant by Oz-specific market
traffic.

I think I'm asking more questions that solving (so please ignore this bit):

1) should only members be allowed to post to org.au?

Currently moot because there's currently no good way to manage the
restrictions.  I'd like to offer admin of priv's like that to group leaders
someday, though.

Yep, understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

2) Should org.au be broken into org.au.auctions (for auctions),
org.au.comments (for non-member comments)

In the .org.* hierarchy of groups, the level directly below .org.xx (i.e.,
the yy part of .org.xx.yy) is designed for organisation names (i.e., studs
or legoz or nelug or vlc), but below that, in a named group for a specific
LUG or club, you could have whatver subgroups/lists your club wanted -- i.e.,

  lugnet.org.xx.yy.auctions
  lugnet.org.xx.yy.robotics
  etc.

It other words, it's a namespace issue -- the name of the subgroup shouldn't
collide with the namespace of the possible set of group names.

--Todd

I follow this, protocols need to be observed or chaos is the result ;-)
As Ben has said we could have a .org.au.legOz.auctions. But i think we should
see how the whole thing runs along with just org.au

The avoiding creation of org.au.legoz.* was because it simply creates an
unneccessary redundant level (the YY bit) which isn't used as a demarcation
for anything below. The creation of the org.au.legOz should only happen once
it's deemed that traffic volume requires it.

But before that we can just post auction notices into org.au

Santosh
(2 hrs to go :)..i'm rather awake now to be honest,bless caffeine)

[1] I've specifically used the word member rather than "australian" regarding
the whole issue of who we make a member etc. Another thing for the notice
board.