 Local / Australia / 1523
Re: To Todd - Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:43:17 GMT

You're both correct, and i think this hefty discussion if drawing to a quiet
close soon.

Basically, its come to this.

Org.au will indeed be used for auctions targeted at Australians. We'd expect
that the majority of the auctions are also run by Australians to make best use
of the shipping/currency benefits that will be achieved by staying local.

However If someone from overseas wants to post an Auction strictly for
Aussies, they're quite welcome to do so (though this doesn't make much sense
to be honest). As to what Shiri said, we have to be careful with this subject.
If an auction says "international bids welcome" then it doesn't belong in
org.au as it is open for everyone and should be in .market.auction, the
contrary to this is, if an Auction says "US bids only", does it belong in
.market.auction??

What we don't want happening, is that everything thats posted in
market.auction is automatically posted into org.au, and our guidelines will
prevent this happening.

The way things that will most likely happen is that if someone within our
Organisation (remembering it is an organisation group) wants to auction
something, they have the option of offering it locally first, reducing the
cost for everyone involved, then if there are still items remaining then they
can offer it for general auction elsewhere.

Hoping this is clearing things up
Santosh
(who's now had plenty of sleep :)

In lugnet.loc.au, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:
Apologies if this has been covered in this weighty thread (it didn't seem to
be), but the main point of someone posting an auction in .org.au is because
_they_ (or, at least, the lego they'll ship) are located in Australia,
correct? So surely it's irrelevant to us whether their auction is open to
international bidders? Otherwise .org.au will miss out on a lot of auction
posts that are of genuine interest to Australians that want to take
advantage of lower shipping (which was the primary purpose of having .org.au
created, wasn't it?).

Yeah, that was my line of thought, but I didn't want to butt in because I'm
not Aussie. :-)
Personally, I haven't held any auctions yet, but if I did, I'd like to open
them to international bidders, because I know how hard it is to get sets
outside of the U.S. (first-hand) and I know I'll be craving international
auctions just a year from now.
But I wouldn't want to open them *only* to Oz, that would mean missing a whole
(very large!) part of the market.
There aren't so many people who are willing to sell internationally, I think,
not anymore. I suggest you open .org.au to any auctions that are open to
Australia.
But again, I'm just suggesting this warmly because I think *you* would benefit
from it. Feel free to ignore every word. :-)

-Shiri