 Local / Australia / 1423
Re: To Todd - Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:02:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
If someone posts to your .org.au in an annoying way and they ignore your
warnings or kind reminders about whatever they're doing wrong, you can let
me know that you'd like them prohibited from posting to your .org.au group
and I can shut them off from that.  If it really gets to be a problem with
a lot of people making a mess, then I'll have to look at ways to help you
automate the in's & out's of people lists in a way that you can • administrate
yourself via some configuration webpage.

Yes this will be required.

When you say, "this will be required," what do you mean by "this"?

"This" being, that we will let you know when someone's being a pain. We will
require you to know when someones being a pain so that you can slap their
wrist :)

Is this the type of information that will go onto
the lugnet.com/org/au/ page?.

You mean a list of people or a list of rules?

A list of rules I was asking about. I guess what I'm really asking is, what
are the lugnet.com/org/ pages meant to be used for? Can we use it as a
homepage for the organisation (with details such as events, members, photos
etc) or are we to use it as a page for people who want to use the .org.au
newsgroup only? (with only rules for example)

Can we take the easy way out by saying "you must
comply with all Lugnet Terms and conditions and in addition...."

Yes.

Splendid :)

Perhaps as a guideline for acution posts we could state:  "Only auction
notices that pertain specifically to org.au members are allowed"  ie. no
general auctions (global), no cross post auctions (eg, for everyone in
US and Australia). Only specific auctions for Org.au members.[1]
[...]
[1] I've specifically used the word member rather than "australian" • regarding
the whole issue of who we make a member etc. Another thing for the notice
board.

I don't think there is a clear way to define a "member" of a newsgroup.

Perhaps not a member of a newsgroup, but a member of an organisation.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but my view of the org classification was, that it
was to be the focal point for discussion of various organisations' members.
Non-members can participate of course, but the dealings within the .org groups
must be about organisational affairs. This would include such details as
events, meetings, administration,.. and in out case of .org.au we'd also like
to be able to conduct auctions.

However I can see that by asking for auctions is complicating issues a bit,
who gets to auction within the organisation? We can solve who gets to bid (see
below).

As a note this still leaves it open for say someone in America to
specifically auction something to us down here. But it wouldn't allow one
of us to auction things off to to up there.

It sounds like what you want is some kind of wording that indicates that the
auctions in .org.au must be exclusively to buyers on the Australian continent
but that sellers can be anywhere...?

Yes I think thats what we're after. But I'll put a little twist into the
wording as I wouldn't want this to start setting a bad precedent for others.

What the wording should inidicate is that auctions in .org.au must be
exclusively for members of that organisation. Now as this particular
organisation is for Australian residents, it is in effect saying that auctions
must be for Australians only (although we may have some honourary non-
Australian members also).

Perhaps can Todd can tell me if this actually is setting a bad precedent.

Santosh