 Local / Australia / 13753
Re: Announcing Brickvention 2006!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:01:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi everyone

I can understand everyone's concern about the costs of attending
Brickvention.

$50 (plus travel costs etc) is a lot for an untried product.

This is not a new issue - every type of convention has this issue every year
:) In the Science Fiction community, conventions can costs start at around
$100 and go up to around $300 depending on the type of convention it is.  A
professional conference in Australia can start around $300 and go up to $500
or more (per day!)

With Brickvention, we spent many days and weeks locating a venue that was
suitable for our purposes. We believe we have found that in the venue we
have chosen. Within the facility there are 3 rooms. A large room for
displays, and two smaller rooms that will be used for Brikwars, Mindstorms
(and similar) comps, presentations and other activities as chosen by *you*
the Australian Lego Fan Community.  As Ross has already mentioned, it is up
to the community to decide what will make the weekend special for *you*.

As an organising committee, we agonised long and hard over the costs. It
should be pointed out that we are not expecting to make a profit from the
weekend. Our budget is based on 50 people attending at the $50 rate. That
*just* covers the cost of the venue and some incidentals. Even that is a
gamble as there is always a chance that we won't get the magical number of
50 but we are willing to take that risk to try something new and exciting
and long overdue for the Lego Fans of Australia.

In terms of accomodation, please remember that there is an extensive network
of Lego fans within Melbourne and many of them have rooms/floor space that
will  be available for people to sleep in/on over the weekend. You don't
*have* to stay in a hotel! That's just provided as an option in case you
prefer a bit more privacy and solitude.

We're hoping that Brickvention 2006 is just the start of a series of Lego
Conventions within Australia but that can only happen if everyone is willing
to support the event in whatever capacity they are able. We expect
Brickvention will be similar to a National Meet but twice as exciting!

cheers

Sue Ann Barber
Lego Fan and Brickvention Advisor