 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6110
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:59:51 GMT

Hello Niels,

In lugnet.lego.direct, Niels Bugge wrote:
   However, to avoid mixing my page up wit my father’s I need a new subdomain, and am wondering if l3go is far enough off? - I doubt that outsiders would recognize it as having something to do with lego, while insiders would understand it as a relevant name, but still looking unofficial. And it has a nice pun to it, turning the page 3vil... It already has black background, and we all know that Vader is the real hero of SW...

To me a name as l3go seems like getting as close to the edge as possible. Prehaps it’s just (bearly) enough to be legal (but I’m not even sure about that), but it’s certainly against the spirit of the rule.

Looking for the edge could trigger TLC to feel a need imposing restrictions more severe than the current ones. So please consider, there is a risk you’re going to make things harder for the rest of us.

If I had to make a choice for a subdomain name similar to the choice you have to make, I would use my own surname, like www.niels.brugge.com. Or use something such as “brick” or something derrived from a word like that. The ability for people finding your site is not very dependent on actually having the word “lego” in your domain name.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.