 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6108
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:04:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee wrote:
Yes, using the word "LEGO" anywhere in the domain or sub-domain is a no-no.
It's the full Internet address as you quote from the Fair Play, not just the
root domain. Confusion about ownership of the site can still result even if
"LEGO" is in the sub-domain as much as in the main domain. (Not all Internet
users are savvy enough to separate the two). The only exception to this is
that we're talking about the site address, not the directory structure. So...

www.lego.mysite.com = bad

www.mysite.com/lego = fine (although not preferred if avoidable)

Hi Jake,

thanx for your comments but there are still some unclear points:

"lego" as a word is clearly registered by the company and therefor cannot be
used in domain or subdomain names.

But "lego" as part of a word should not be registered in every combination.

I think it is impossible for a company to get every word combination in every
language registered.
What about "legobricks", "legostones", "legostein" etc. ?
And what about the plural "legos" which is often used?

Regards Ronald