 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6103
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:49:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Niels Bugge wrote:
   To Jake McKee or somebody else who can speak on behalf of TLC:

After the presentation of my webpage www.lego.bugge.com, I’ve received a lot of warnings against legal problems with TLC based on the Fair Play Policy.

A search on the subject here on lugnet hasn’tofficial statement from TLC-affiliated people that can shed light on the question; the only place I’ve seen subdomains mentioned is in a post by Tobbe Arnesson http://news.lugnet.com/modelteam/?n=953 claiming that using lego in subdomains is illegal based on the Fair Play Policy which, however, doesn’t mention anything about subdomains, only domains:

   The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address
The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address. Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the source of a homepage. Using “LEGO” in the domain name would be creating the misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage.

Yes, using the word “LEGO” anywhere in the domain or sub-domain is a no-no. It’s the full Internet address as you quote from the Fair Play, not just the root domain. Confusion about ownership of the site can still result even if “LEGO” is in the sub-domain as much as in the main domain. (Not all Internet users are savvy enough to separate the two). The only exception to this is that we’re talking about the site address, not the directory structure. So...

www.lego.mysite.com = bad

www.mysite.com/lego = fine (although not preferred if avoidable)

Hope this helps!

Jake